Replacing a garage door opener

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
For those of us who do not do this...any words of wisdom?

When I was asked if I wanted a battery backup, I knew openers are now SMART. The thought of needing a battery backup sends chills down my back. I just want to open and close the garage door! Is that asking too much?

Battery backup adds some cost yet it allows operation during a power outage.

In CA it is required by state law. This happened after it was presumed some could not open their door manually and were unable to escape a wildfire.

In CA it is required by state law. This happened after it was presumed some could not open their door manually and were unable to escape a wildfire.
And when my battery died a few years back, i did not replace it. Just a burden for something i don't think i need.

I did install Ring camera in the garage though so I can see if the garage door is open or closed. this has been useful.

Not surprising, even with the spring assist, some doors aren't easy. I'm not sure that my g/f can open our double door when the power is out.

Battery backups have little, if anything, to do with house integrations, aka SMART, IMO. House integrations means you can tell if it's open, closed, move it with your smart phone, etc. Battery backups just preserve operation in case of a power outage.

Our opener sheared part of the drive mechanism a couple of years ago. Parts are only about $15, but a week out. I bought a replacement kit with an identical (okay, mildly updated,) head that night and mounted it the following day (if she ain't happy, you ain't happy.) I now have a fully operational opener that I've been intending on putting out in the back garage.

Oh.... and if you're going to do this yourself, do not mess with the lift springs on the door. I will cheerfully hire a professional for those, and I have, to replace a broken spring.

I had genie screw drive openers for about 20 years, replaced them with liftmaster 8500W side mount Quiet, and frees up ceiling access.

My doors are well balanced and I don't need a battery backup but it's there.

I guess it depends on the type of garage door you have as a side mount will not work on all doors.

for what it's worth.

got a garage door opener for a house warming gift in 1992.
did not install it for years.
heard first hand bad things about GDOs.
the very reason i did not want one nor did not want to install it.
the couple that gifted it, returned years later for dinner, asked how it's working.
wife told them i never installed it.
i felt a bit guilty. (just a bit)
later some time, B-I-L helped me install it.
seemed to work fine.
until one evening approximately 8:30pm in september 1998.
shorted out, started fire.
burned down my garage.

since then, garage was rebuilt with two garage doors (one on each end).
still no GDOs installed.
never will.

HATE ****ing GDOs.

Jim, as long as you can lift & close the door, it works for ya. I would never hear the end of it if my g/f did not have a garage space with an opener.

Just installed a new Chamberlain last year, amazingly quiet. I too went with battery backup, as it helps with the power outages that we get quite too often. Very easy to install and setup, took a few hours, no real problems. I chose not to use the app for garage control, though I have the entire house set up on an automated system. I didn't want to give potential outside control to an entry point of my home.
One word of caution though, if you need to mess with the springs, understand the danger of the springs, and follow the directions completely. They have an incredible amount of force contained within them, and no exaggeration, they can kill you. You may not necessarily have to mess with the springs though, if you're just replacing the opener, but you will most certainly have to adjust them, or should at least check to see if they are in adjustment when you are done. Two separate systems, but they can overlap somewhat. If the door springs are not adjusted correctly, and you disconnect the old opener, it can send the door crashing down on top of you.

I inherited a 15 year old Genie over 30 years ago, I had to have a torsion spring replaced (agree, let them what knows how do that stuff!) about five years ago, I have no complaints. Sorry that’s not a lot of help but, thats my only garage opener experience.
the old horse will probably die tomorrow but, it’s served so amazingly well I can’t believe it.
sister and BIL have replaced theirs three times in under 20 years. Don’t know what they have/had or anything.
Good luck!

Do they still have garage doors that use the 2 springs one on each side. I know when I replaced mine 3 or 4 years ago the put that tortion spring over the door which is a single unit first time in years the door actually went down evenly when they did it.

Do they still have garage doors that use the 2 springs one on each side. I know when I replaced mine 3 or 4 years ago the put that tortion spring over the door which is a single unit first time in years the door actually went down evenly when they did it.
Mine are internal torsion springs, but there are two, one on each side. I had one break a few years back. Replaced them both, not too hard of a job and fairly inexpensive. I upgraded the adjustment system to the new design at the time, and readjusted the entire frame. Like most things I have found in my house, it wasn't installed correctly to begin with.

Last time went from chain drive to screw drive....love the new one. Other than that...being able to link to home network so you operate your door from ANYWHERE would be amazing - I know some can do this now. Also to be able to tell if my door is open/closed and even get alerts etc.

I agree, I had to call a neighbor when I was thirty miles away to have her check my garage door! Oh well, I like my neighbor.

Back