Repeat meal: Peruvian Chicken

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
My most favor chicken meal since I got my Webers has become Peruvian Chicken. I have been wanting to try this below recipe/version for over a year.

After a resent Peruvian Chicken cook and post (using a different recipe), some of you guys here pushed me to finally buy the two ingredients I needed to attempt the above version... Those ingredients got here this week.
1614478068145~2.jpg
Yesterday I prepped all the skin on bone in chicken:1 breast; 5 thighs; and 4 legs. No, not from the same chicken, I saw that joke coming and made a double batch of Raichlen's rub.
IMG_20210227_224918.jpg
Got it all mixed up and in the frig for 24 hours
IMG_20210227_210811.jpg
Today the rain should have keep me from cooking outside, but I went for it anyways. Oh, check out my new privacy fence/wind shield, we love it!!!
IMG_20210228_172350.jpg
IMG_20210228_172358.jpg
IMG_20210228_172354.jpg
Lid temps where around 500 for this cook with the vortex, here it is at the half hour check.IMG_20210228_180150.jpg
And it done.IMG_20210228_190353.jpg
It smelled so good and we were all hungry, so one of the legs didn't make it out of the rest period. The kids and I sat around the island eating it and my wife yelled at use to bring her a piece too.
IMG_20210228_190343.jpg
And plated with the same cajun rice I made last time also. This was after a few bites when I realized I hadn't taken a plated picture.
IMG_20210228_190335.jpg
There was no chicken left. Between the five of us we ate it all. I made more than normal so I would have leftovers. No such luck. My 11 year ever took to picking at the thigh and breast bones to make sure none was wasted.

You guys were right that recipe is WAY next level. The skin stayed attached to the meat really well while cutting, it almost looked fried it was so crispy, and it had this prefect char. There was this great little bit of heat from this recipe. I can't wait to make it again!

Last edited:
wow Mike, that looks fantastic. You are putting that Kettle & Vortex combo to great use! Seriously that looks so good, I may try the recipe sometime soon.
Thanks so much John, I would absolutely recommended this recipe and/or the other one I use, but like I said in my opening, this is my favorite.

I’ve always done mine “whole bird” and rotisserie cooked them but, I might just have to try pieces next go round!
Did you make the green sauce?
I used the leftovers (last time I did two birds) and used the sauce in place of mayonnaise for chicken salad, man, that’s a game changer too!
Glad you jumped in, I’m thinking this will have to happen this week!

I’ve always done mine “whole bird” and rotisserie cooked them but, I might just have to try pieces next go round!
Yeah, I have done spatchcoch whole bird in the past as I do not have a rotisserie and they have turned out really really well. I have move to the pieces as it allow me to get the meat that the family like to eat at the right ratios and using the vortex these last two times has yielded over the top amazing results.
Did you make the green sauce?
No we do not use it, but I think we are in the minority there. I strongly recommend anyone who is going to cook Peruvian Chicken for the first time to all make the green sauce.

Well, everyone feels differently about sauces. The white (green) one is so different from any red sauce that it’s just kind of fun for my bunch. I think it’s time to get my other 22” out and have it ready for Vortex work at the drop of a hat! I can slip the spinner on the “Overperformer” in a minute so, that gives me the ability to spin a bird and some killer wings at the same time! It’s all about real estate on kettles!

Fantastic cook, Michael! I'm not sure that flavor profile would fly in my household, but I sure would love to try it!

I know you are thinking about a rotisserie. I highly recommend picking up Weber Part No. 65188 Tuck Away Lid Holder. It's the newer design from the current gen Performer. It holds the lid vertical so you can use it with the rotisserie ring. I think it's $30 on Amazon, but it in my experience it's usually available for less by calling Weber.

Back