Removing Stains from Firebox and Lid sides - Genesis

Jon F LA

I am refurbishing a Genesis 2011 model that I found on Nextdoor. It's in great condition and I was able to remove the surface rust with Bar Keepers Friend as suggested here and fine steel wool in stubborn spots. Now, I want to see if I can remove the surface food/sauce stains that burned into the lid sides and firebox. I can't find anything on the web that describes the best way to remove them. I painted a thick baking soda mix onto them and covered them with wet paper towels and sprayed them periodically but they won't budge. Attached are photos but I'm sure you guys are familiar with this issue.

One photo shows the baking soda not being washed off yet thus the haze.

Much appreciated.

J.

cbDTCp

H-si0N

Last edited:
Jon (good name spelled correctly;)),

Welcome to our forum!

You will have to try again on those pictures. To post photos on this forum, you have to use a photo sharing website such as IMGUR.COM or TINYPIC.COM.

Pretty much on most grill restores, if you are trying for an almost new look you will need to repaint aluminum fireboxes and side pieces. This is certainly NOT the case for porcelain hoods (or of course stainless parts). For porcelain-covered hoods you want should use something like Simple Green and 0000 steel wool. Done correctly, you can make the porcelain look almost brand-new.

The painted aluminum, on the other hand, unless only mildly dirty is probably not going to come clean, at least appearance-wise. So, you will need to get all the grease off and look at high-temperature spray paints. For these parts that means VERY HIGH temperature paints. Unfortunately, the color choices aren't so great and the prices can be high. The Genesis that you are doing uses an unusual shade of medium gray that no one that I know has found a perfect match for. I have personally used VHT spray paint, using their Ford Gray. It is not perfect, but at least close. As long as you do ALL the aluminum trim in this same color, most people would never know. It certainly brightens things up to have fresh paint on these parts. Some others have opted to paint with black high heat, a more readily available color, or a dark gray.

Here is a Genesis that I painted the firebox and trim with the VHT Ford Gray:

2463six.jpg

Sorry the picture doesn't show more of the firebox. Here is an earlier version of the Genesis 300 I did where I also used the Ford Gray:

xfayig.jpg

If you can, search some of the posts from the last year about Genesis restores and paint colors. I believe you will find some helpful ideas.

Hi. thanks for the responses. The condition of the side panels is excellent and only have the stains. Repainting is an option but I was hoping for a simpler solution. Trying the photo upload again.

enhance

enhance

Last edited:
You could try Simple Green or Weber's Exterior Grill or Stubborn Stain Remover, but I don't think you will get most of it off. The heat just sets it in. It looks like your Genesis is the first version with the knobs on the side and burners running lengthwise (or as most people on the forum refer to as "E-W"). If so, you are fortunate to have what I think is the BEST of the Genesis 300 series. It combines the virtues of the classic Weber burner set-up with the larger size and higher hood of the newer style Genesis. The next model went to burner going the short way with the knobs on the front. Better for more workspace on the side, but most of us feel not as good for grilling and definitely not as good for rotisserie use.

In any case, I hope you can get it looking the way you want. Painting is a lot of extra effort, so maybe you will be satisfied after trying some of the cleaning remedies.

Oven cleaner?
I’ve used it to remove that kind of schillac (own term, you can imagine it’s roots) from stainless skillet bottoms. I can’t see any reason it would not work on the hood sides.
Do it on a sunny day so the parts are warm (if it’s disassembled) spray and let it sit then, hose it down and wash with warm soapy water and finally rinse.
Does anyone have a reason NOT to use it, just curious.

Oven cleaner will get it off but will ruin that paint best to simply do a good de-grease and repaint. IMO they look more classy with satin black on those surfaces anyway

The panels looked like SS to me but, I have not made my mistake for today, that might be it!
Have a lovely Easter feast!

Back