Rehabbing a kettle

Yah, I suppose, but I don't plan on doing any more kettles for a while. I much prefer a gasser for rehabbing.

Ah, Bruce, kettles can be fun, too! But, they have very little upside for flipping. Although, what you did with those grates is pretty amazing. When I caught up on this thread I assumed you just replaced them like you suggested you were planning on.

Only suggestion is to go to Ace or somewhere and get a plastic cap for the front leg. Weber used white caps for those older models. The new ones use black which I think actually looks better. It won't cost much but gives a more finished look. Now replacing that handle will be another story. I hope you can find a bargain somehow.

Ace has the leg caps? Cool, I will hunt one down. Yah, I gotta get a handle. I think they are like $9 on Amazon and I should just go ahead and order one.

You did well Bruce! That scarring happens with the sweepers sometimes, should not be an issue.
Grate looks dandy! I was considering tossing a couple of the older ones I have but, might just try that method!
It was a 20 hour road trip yesterday to “beyond Antigo” so, Green Bay was the stepping off point! I’m getting past the point of enjoying driving that long!
You did very well and I agree, there isn’t going to be much margin in basic kettles, not like a silver B or something.
Igot home about 4:00 so, I think I’m going to catch a little nap!

I need a cap for the third leg on my kettle, can anyone tell me the size that I need?

Bruce, it is 1". Any hardware store should have them. Ever Wally World.
gSzQ6BS.jpg

Bruce,

Your restore looks as good as we all knew it would. We've seen your work and it's always top notch. Kettles are so basic that I think you were overcomplicating things in your head.

Yah, I don't know. The grill itself has some flaws that I can do nothing about and that kind of bothers me too. With a gasser I can swap out parts pretty easy.

Well, to be fair, you didn't exactly start with the easiest one either. Judging by the handles it looks like something in that grill went nuclear. And even with that you still managed to pull off your top shelf restoration.

Thanks Chris.

Well, if I had to drive 60 miles to get it and I would rehab and flip it, what would a good offer be?

I am restoring an identical one right now. I will post pictures when it comes together and we get past “Dorian”:mad:!

Bruce,
Your black kettle came out very nice, and the grates are nothing short of a miracle. I have probably been too hasty in trashing ones that showed rust. I think $60 is a fair price, given that it is all cleaned up so well. Some people actually try to sell them - and I have bought them - with used up charcoal and junk still in them. What you are working against, though, is that black kettles are very common.

That red one you posted, if cleaned up as well as your black one, would, I believe, fetch a significantly higher price. It is pretty hard to get a decent return on kettles. Having a collection of parts would help. I think you have to go for colors like red or blue vs basic black. The very old ones that have metal handles and or unusual colors are a whole different animal. Now you are in the collector market. If you can beat the WKC people to a “barn find” you don’t want to do anything but wash it nicely and flip it back out there for one of them to snatch it from you.

Alright, I may pursue that red one, but I can't right now. Too busy. If it is still there in a few days, I will throw a low ball offer out there.

Back