Rehabbing a kettle

Absolutely! The ability to snuff out the kettle is one of its best features! Bill, what size did you get?
The best thing about the kettle is that really is an amazingly simple unit, make heat, cook close vents, save charcoal.
I rarely use a full chimney of fresh coal. Maybe half a chimney and top it with the used goods. I save smoker extinguished coals which I will remove when cleaning up then, put them in a galvanized, lidded bucket.
When the factory baskets wear out (I had mine for over ten years!) get a set of the really fine 304 SS baskets! There’s a thread on them somewhere. Well worth the money spent!

Coals will be reusable if your vents will all close down tight.
My 2006 Performer has been cooked on many many times, the ash sweepers are original, but they no longer fit real flush against the bowl, so my coals burn out slowly after the cook.
I'm fine with that.

Bob, you’re getting it too clean! Just kidding.
Interesting learning lesson the other day, we’ll, a few months back now.
After using the Vortex the screaming heat seemed to completely crystallize the schmutz on the inside of the kettle and now the sweepers work just delightfully well! Clean sweeps, still closes up nice and tight. I know there will be a day when I will need to replace the sweeps but, they are still going strong!

Replacing my three(3) "Sweepers" on my Weber Mastertouch 22" Grill in which I bought new around three(3) years ago. Really a pain in removing the Old Sweeper Wings off this grill!

Bill, you will love it! It’s the most versatile piece of outdoor cooking equipment you will have in the arsenal! I can say that but, I’m probably biased, there are 2-22”(one is for a Pizzaque) the 18” an 18”WSM Smokey Joe, Go Anywhere, My maroon Genny, in the tool crib.
There is room and reason for all the tools, you can’t drive a spike with a tack hammer!

I located a Performer with the gas assist lighting. A little cleaning and a new grate and it will be like brand new.

I located a Performer with the gas assist lighting. A little cleaning and a new grate and it will be like brand new.

You will love that performer my favorite grill on the weekend, I found mine a few years ago used, the family got the stainless steel charcoal baskets Tim mentioned for a fathers day gift they will outlast me.

The grill I picked up is a 22". Decent condition, but has its flaws.

33qtSXU.jpg

DhAuCrV.jpg

iBVQAKG.jpg

qnmIxy4.jpg

8NGtsPn.jpg

J9aW3cj.jpg

O0ylR1g.jpg

NMr8kmA.jpg

One question. I plan on salvaging the coal grate, but replacing the cooking grate. Is the hinged cooking grate worth the extra 8 bucks or should I just go with the plain one? I am trying to do this rehab on the cheap, so factor that in.

Wow, that handle looks pretty bad. Is it burnt?

If you're reselling the grill, I would go cheap as possible. I never see the common kettles go for big money in my area.

Yep Chernobyl handle. It looks like the Handle on the other side is pre-Chernobyl.

One question. I plan on salvaging the coal grate, but replacing the cooking grate. Is the hinged cooking grate worth the extra 8 bucks or should I just go with the plain one? I am trying to do this rehab on the cheap, so factor that in.

Just my take. I have the hinged grate but have never used that function. It makes cleaning more of a hassle so I'll skip it on the next grate I get. It probably is of value if you do long cooks and need to add coals, I use the smoker for such.

Well, I spent a few hours working on the 22" Premium while I was working on my Silver B rehab. I didn't do a real maticulous rehab on the kettle, but I think it came out pretty good for not having put any new parts into it. I did reuse the cooking grate. It was pretty rusted but after scrubbing and grinding with a wire wheel, it came out better than expected as Dave in KC assured me it would. The kettle itself has some minor issues but is otherwise solid aside from the one handle that had the nuclear meltdown. I will have to replace that. Here are some photos....and the photo of the empty kettle looks like the bottom is really messed up, but that is just the reflection of the sky in the bottom.

Qs5bLcc.jpg

6lRQtrt.jpg

S6nlxSr.jpg

LsPtMzU.jpg

8oqh21B.jpg

Thanks to Dave in KC and Timothy Lewis for the hand holding and thanks to everyone else for their advice and encouragement on this project. While I learned a lot about kettles and found it interesting, I don't think I will start looking for more kettles to rehab and flip. Maybe a Performer or something special, but I don't really get a lot out of the basic kettle grills.

Bruce. What did you use to clean up the cooking grate? I have one that is not rusted as bad as yours and I was going to throw it out. Would really like to save it. Thanks!

First I put it in a big trash bag, then sprayed it with about 3/4 can of oven cleaner and laid it flat on the driveway for a few hours. Then I took it out and scrubbed it a bit with some household stainless steel wool. Then I took an angle grinder with a wire cup brush to it. Dave in KC is one to suggested that method.

First I put it in a big trash bag, then sprayed it with about 3/4 can of oven cleaner and laid it flat on the driveway for a few hours. Then I took it out and scrubbed it a bit with some household stainless steel wool. Then I took an angle grinder with a wire cup brush to it. Dave in KC is one to suggested that method.

I don't believe you. It looks like you bought a new grate and threw the old one away at the dump.

JK. Nice job on it! I can't imagine that it was rusty at one point.

Thanks Bruce. I have two angle grinders so will have to get a cup brush. I will need it for the 3000 firebox anyway.
There are about $5 at Harbor freight. I don't know of any other place with them for under $10 each.

And Bill, they still are not really shiny and some of the bars are clearly thinner than the others, but it is perfectly usable and will probably be good for a couple years or so before they will have to be replaced.

If you ever have time, making a YouTube video on restoring one of these rusty cooking grates would be great!

Back