Refinished nonstick pans

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Many years ago my wife inherited a couple of heavy cast aluminum Dutch oven-style pots and a few years ago they started shedding their nonstick coating, which I believe was Silverstone (the pots are probably from the late '60s or early '70s). Here's what one of them looked like:

DutchOvenPeeling1.jpeg DutchOvenPeeling3.jpeg

You'd like to cook with that, right?

Someone had once told me that there's a company in Sheboygan, WI that will recoat pans so I did some checking and found OPI. After getting a quote for the pots I took them there a couple of weeks ago and picked them up yesterday. The above pot now looks like this:

DutchOvenFixed1.jpg

I used it to boil pasta last night and it worked just fine, and I no longer get little specks of nonstick coating in my food.:sick: The smaller pot was just under $40 and the larger was just over, so for about $80 and tax I have 2 pots that will hopefully last another 50 years or so.

That's news to me!

It seems like non-stick pans are getting better. I've got four OXO pans and by watching my heat level and keeping metal utensils away they seem to be lasting a good long time with no peeling whatsoever.

Sub'ed. Brad, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to see periodic updates on how the new coating works and holds up.

It tastes better AND it's less crunchy!(y)

Since there's only 2 of us we don't use these pots too much at this time of the year, but they see more action during the holidays and colder weather (mmm...soup). I'll post if anything unusual happens.

Back