Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

I'm pretty sure that Statesville, NC is the stink bug capital of NC.
I've seen more stink bugs there than anywhere else in the state!

Part of my duties as a travelling customer service rep is to go to all the Home Depot's that we sell batteries to once a month and check of the battery racks. Make sure that they are clean and that none of the stock is too old.
I was way down in the southern part of Charlotte yesterday, and they were having a big sale on Traeger grills. Even had a rep just inside the front door.
We talked for a few minutes. He was trying to get me to buy the latest and greatest pellet pooper. Brushless motor and "WiFire" to get it set just right.
Only $1000! Pretty sure that Pammi would be very upset with me for buying that, and I told him so.
He pointed out the old models, on sale for $699!
Yeah, still ain't happening, chief!
He then pointed out the tail gate model. Only $299.
"Going quick!", he said.
I walked away telling him that my Weber's never needed to be plugged in and that I had a gas grill, charcoal smoker and 4 charcoal grills, and that I paid less than $900 for all those!

Part of my duties as a travelling customer service rep is to go to all the Home Depot's that we sell batteries to once a month and check of the battery racks. Make sure that they are clean and that none of the stock is too old.
I was way down in the southern part of Charlotte yesterday, and they were having a big sale on Traeger grills. Even had a rep just inside the front door.
We talked for a few minutes. He was trying to get me to buy the latest and greatest pellet pooper. Brushless motor and "WiFire" to get it set just right.
Only $1000! Pretty sure that Pammi would be very upset with me for buying that, and I told him so.
He pointed out the old models, on sale for $699!
Yeah, still ain't happening, chief!
He then pointed out the tail gate model. Only $299.
"Going quick!", he said.
I walked away telling him that my Weber's never needed to be plugged in and that I had a gas grill, charcoal smoker and 4 charcoal grills, and that I paid less than $900 for all those!

Wanting a Traeger is what (originally) got me addicted to Weber’s! A friend had a Traeger and smoked a butt for my wife and I. It was the first time I had ever had bbq from someplace other than a restaurant. I was amazed and hooked!! The search for a Traeger began and soon ended when I saw the $700+ (about 12 years ago) and realized that was far above my budget. I stumbled across an add for a WSM, bought it, and soon after I found this site. I can honestly say, I have never once wished I had gone with the Traeger. On my back deck is me Weber gasser, a q-200, performer, 22” WSM, and my Smokey joe gold/mini WSM. I may have $850 invested in all of them total.....
Traeger; no thanks.
Tim

Can someone tell me what kind of a truck this is?? (fast forward to the 18:00 minute mark)

Looks like a wood-burning truck of some sort.

It's not a wood burner. Listen to the audio and you'll clearly hear the rattling of a large diesel. In those movies and old TV shows they regularly would try to disguise any old truck to look like something else. If you watch Hogan's Heroes for example you'll regularly see the VW Thing in roles as a "staff car", Ford delivery trucks as troop transport and delivery trucks, etc.

It's not a wood burner. Listen to the audio and you'll clearly hear the rattling of a large diesel. In those movies and old TV shows they regularly would try to disguise any old truck to look like something else. If you watch Hogan's Heroes for example you'll regularly see the VW Thing in roles as a "staff car", Ford delivery trucks as troop transport and delivery trucks, etc.

Yeah. I heard the motor, and it sounded very much like a diesel, but that firebox threw me for a loop.

At first I thought it was a poor attempt to make the truck look like a steam engine.
Second thought, maybe they were making lunch for the crew.
PS, I liked the Rat Patrol as a kidd in the 60's. ( it was in color) :)

Tim

Last edited:
Ha "in color" my dad refused to buy color tv until about 1970 or so because he insisted it was not perfected yet

Ha "in color" my dad refused to buy color tv until about 1970 or so because he insisted it was not perfected yet

One could argue that it still isn't perfected.

The "brightness" control, even when turned all the way up, still leaves the content dumber 'n a fence post.

We didn't get a color TV until around '77.
It was the one fight that I remember mom and dad having.
Dad wanted to spend some money on an old pickup that he had.
Mom wanted to watch her "shows" in color.
Mom won.

So, last week, the company decided that my position would be salaried instead of hourly.
Now, I tried to get a little bit of overtime, but nothing crazy. I think the most I ever got was 5 hours one week.
The problem I have with this is they aren't saying just how much my salary is going to be!
My boss found out last Friday night at 9PM (corporate HQ is in California).
He let me know via email on Sunday, but I didn't find out until Monday morning.
Here it is Wednesday night and STILL no answer!
I do think that I'm going to earn time off a little quicker though.
Hourly, I was earning .0385 hours off for every hour I worked. It averaged to about 3.5 hours off each pay period(biweekly).
IIRC, I earn 6.4 hours off every 2 weeks.
I'll let you guys know as soon as I do!

I don't think we got one until around '73 or '74...I can't remember where it was from but I think my parents bought at least one TV from Ackerman's when they had a store on Charles Street.

My folks got one so they could watch one of the British shows on PBS in maybe 1972. I was giggling about being able to watch “Lost in Space” in color!!

Phil, I just want to wish the best for you. What a way to treat a veteran. They should be ashamed of themselves. Good luck!!!

I always try to pass on some wisdom I've learned over the years to young guys about to get married.

Once you're married, your opinion doesn't matter any more.
Once you have kids, your opinion isn't solicited any more.
You remember those two things and get comfortable with it, you'll have a long and happy marriage.
;)

Back