Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

I just received a BlackStone 17" griddle. I season it according to directions and than cooked up a pound of bacon. The BS cooked the bacon up vey nicely. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this toy. Has any of you folks used a BlackStone and if so how did you like it?

Bill

,ha ha ha, I remember long distance phone bills...or even a party line that my grandparents had for their phone line. Now I look back, and we haven't had a home phone (land line) in over 15 years..
Tim

My wife won't allow anything but a landline in the house. Thought about going VoIP, but she squashed that too.

I've been dealing with a dog having to get adjusted to the time change later tonight.
I stalled her five o' clock feeding to five thirty and got the stink-eye for thirty minutes.

Here in Arizona we don't do DLST so no hassles messing with clocks timers ETC. Both Whitney and Abby get fed at four thirty and if their not fed by four thirty five their on me like ugly on an ape.
Following me around whining. They sure are SRDs (spoiled rotten dogs) but they sure can tell time well.

The above picture is me trying to figure out if there's a better way to use the Photobucket app. That's what I've been using to post all the recent pictures. But it is cumbersome because I was using the full app on a mobile phone. I just downloaded the mobile app to see if it could be more user-friendly. On the plus side it was, however now there's a huge Photobucket stamp on my picture. I'll fool with it a little more and see how it goes.

As for the picture, that was me in the process of enjoying a nice evening fire with the yard clean-up leftovers. Yeah it was kind of big, but after it died down the kids enjoyed s'mores.

Remember when access to the Internet started with a CD? Found this while cleaning out computer stuff at my parent's house.

xPpyl4F.jpg

I remember helping friends and co-workers get online using similar disks. Also like others mentioned after this I remember tying up the phone line. I also remember being excited when I got connected to 33 k with a 56k modem. I was paying for 56k connection and if I saw 33 I was excited.

One thing I didn't see mentioned was people that knew how to get through on the phone while you are on the internet. That was very frustrating if you were trying to download a what would be considered tiny file by today's standards. But then that file took a half hour. And during the download those that knew how could interrupt your internet connection and make your phone ring. For anybody that doesn't know what I'm talking about, you simply had to call and hang up when you got the Busy Signal, then call right back. That would make the phone ring and undo your internet connection. There was a workaround for it that I found out after I was trying to Pure cure music. Remember Napster. I found out after waiting 2 hours for a song that there was a way to stop people from breaking my internet connection. The good old days of the internet.

Here in Arizona we don't do DLST so no hassles messing with clocks timers ETC. Both Whitney and Abby get fed at four thirty and if their not fed by four thirty five their on me like ugly on an ape.
Following me around whining. They sure are SRDs (spoiled rotten dogs) but they sure can tell time well.

I haven't owned a dog since my newlywed days, but the shepard-husky mix we owned at the time slept outside in a doghouse. His hearing was so keen, he could hear us walking through the house in the mornings, and he would bark like crazy for food if he knew we were up. We resorted to tippy-toeing upon waking for the day.

What's her beef? Waste of $$$ in today's age and soon true landline (POTS) will be disappearing anyway

She doesn't like cell phones, and VoIP is internet dependent - which is not always dependable at times. (lost our service every weekend for a month or more after the hurricanes came through)

I really wish we could do away with daylight savings time. I also really wish it could get dark at 4 in the afternoon, said nobody ever!!!!

Only government could think that cutting a foot off of one end of the board and nailing it to the other end of the board gives you more board.

She doesn't like cell phones, and VoIP is internet dependent - which is not always dependable at times. (lost our service every weekend for a month or more after the hurricanes came through)

Try getting those Panasonic phones that link to your mobile. They can link 2 different phones with different ringers for each. Your regular phone simply uses your mobile phone as a "connection". Than you can dump the landline (POTS) pay only one bill and yet still have full sized normal feeling handsets to use at home

I really wish we could do away with daylight savings time. I also really wish it could get dark at 4 in the afternoon, said nobody ever!!!!
Actually we just came off DST, we need to keep it year round IMO.
On the plus side, with winter's short days, kids at the bus stop in the morning are probably safer.

We've been happy with VoIP, no problems so far.
I have a pacemaker and it gets checked every 3 months, alternating between the doc's office and on the phone. Without a home phone I'd have to go in every 3 months.

In case you use Flickr and didn't get the notice, the free limit, as of this coming January, will be limited to 1,000 photos.
At that time they will delete the oldest first to bring your count to 1K.

Actually we just came off DST, we need to keep it year round IMO.
On the plus side, with winter's short days, kids at the bus stop in the morning are probably safer.

The folks to the south of our latitude probably wouldn't tell much difference with morning sunrise times, but I'm with you, I prefer DST over regular time, although the school bus drivers wouldn't like it.

Try getting those Panasonic phones that link to your mobile. They can link 2 different phones with different ringers for each. Your regular phone simply uses your mobile phone as a "connection". Than you can dump the landline (POTS) pay only one bill and yet still have full sized normal feeling handsets to use at home

What do you do about spam callers with that setup?

What do you do about spam callers with that setup?

I use products like "TruCaller" or AT&T Call Protect. It labels spam as such or as potential span. Many ROBO calls are blocked automatically also. I have WAY less SPAM now. If you have a VOIP product like Comcast phone service you can also apply a service like NoMoROBO. It works like a champ. I did it for my dad and he's so happy

I have a Vonage line at home. Got it when years ago to lower the home phone bill when I didn't use the home phone much anymore because the cell phone was becoming more of my primary phone. This was back when the cell phone plans started offering enough usable minutes to make it more than an emergency line. Now most cell phones have unlimited minutes and long distance. At this point the only reason I still have the Vonage line is for when I leave the kids home alone for a short time. And to call myself when I misplaced my phone :). I've changed the Vonage line to a $10 dollar per month plan since it's never used. If I set up spam and robo call blocks o don't think it would ever ring.

Back