Question on larger loin back ribs

James H

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

Hope the summer has kicked off nice for you.

Quick Question....i want to do BRITU ribs but can usually only find loin back ribs that are 3 pounds or more per rack versus the 2 pounds in the cooking topics recipe. For the 2 pounders in the recipe you go around 4 hours. I will be doing tear test and checking for doneness but what do you think is a good time estimate for 3 pounders at around 225-250?

Thanks for the help!

James

My personal experience: 4 to 4.5 hr for some of those big ones. They're usually the only kind I have access to. I still follow the 2-2-1 timing with testing at the 4 hour mark (I did use 3-2-1 on backs but found it too long so I now reserve that timing for spares).

The 2-2-1 refers to the foiling component. I dont usually foil as I find it too much of a hassle for little benefit IMO.

Thank Len,

One other quick question. I will be doing the ribs at my house and then taking to the high school which is just two minutes away. I plan on putting in a foil tray, transporting them, and then finishing on a grill they will have at the high school.

Questions:

1) should i sauce at home or at school right before i put the on the grill?

2) should i wrap them tightly in foil or just cover the foil pan?

3) Any other advice?

THanks again

If you are going to finish them at the school, the pan seems like a good choice and I'd sauce them once you get there. You can add a bit of showmanship to the final minutes of the cook and the guests will have a few minutes to drool before you satisfy their hunger.

Jeff

Like Jeff, put them in the pan unsauced. You can cover them but let the steam escape (otherwise, bark will soften more than you want). Then when u get to the school, fire up the grill then sauce them. Only a couple of min a side to carmelize them is all that's needed.

Be careful as the sugar will burn if left on the grill too long. No wandering away to chat, just sauce/flip/sauce/flip/etc and pay attention.

Thanks all for the help. Sauced and finished at the school and came out great......nothing left at the end!

You're right there Len, when the conversation stops and all you hear is the sound of teeth on food you're on the right track, when the pans are empty and almost licked clean, be happy, and proud of a job well done!

Back