Question on Foiling Spare Ribs

BrianAK

New WSM 18'' owner here. About to cook my 3rd attempt at St. Louis spare ribs. Have had pretty good results so far. Going to try the Johnny Trigg method today w/rib tickler rub using brown sugar, honey, tiger sauce and parkay in the foil. Plan on cooking @ 275 for 2-45-45.

When it comes to foiling do you put the ingredients directly on the meat? Or is it better to put the ingredients on the foil then lay the meat on top? I have seen it done both ways on youtube, TLC Pitmasters and other discussion boards. I wasn't too sure what way produced the better results or if it even matters one way or the other.

Also, if anyone has cooked Trigg ribs before how much Tiger Sauce should I go for in the wrap? It seems that ingredient is used more sparingly than the others.

Thanks for any input.

I’ve tried both ways also and really couldn’t tell a whole lot of difference. On my last ribs when I foiled I put the ingredients on the foil and put the ribs meat side down into the mixture and it came out very good.
Can’t help you with the Tiger Sauce I’ve never used it.

I put it directly on the meat, except the apple juice, this I pour into the foil just before I close it up.

Others have you covered on the foil. I've used Tiger sauce and I just hit it three or four times running down the ribs

I have been using the Myron Mixon method of using a foil pan and foil over it, I don't use the pan during cooking or for the finishing glaze

Was just thinking about my last post, are there opinions as to a pan vs just foil? would be interesting to hear from the group

I've been foiling every which way for about a year with good results (perhaps a tad too tender), but today I just threw a rack on with a dusting of rub, put water in the pan (which I also haven't done for about a year) a let 'em go. I spritzed with apple juice once and painted some sauce on them for about the last 30 minutes. I gotta say, there's something to be said about a deep smoke ring and textured flesh that pulls away from the bone with gentle tug. Mrs. J gave them two thumbs up.

I made a note to next time try foiling for just a brief spell -- maybe 15 minutes -- just long enough to soften the bark and sweeten them up.

I normally do baby backs but did 3 St. Louis spares yesterday. Since I don't do them much I just planned on doing them 3-2-1. 2 hours in a pan with apple juice, and a foil cover was too long. They were pulling off the bone. Everyone at the party liked them, which is all that matters, but I was mad at myself for letting them get so overdone.

I only use the pan when I am doing more ribs and have to put them in a rack on their side

Thanks to everyone for the input.

275 for 2hr-45min-30min till done worked very well for my cook. Previously I had foiled well over 1.5 hrs and they were far too "fall of the bone" for my enjoyment. The Tiger Sauce really added a great flavor, I highly recommend foiling with this the next time you cook spare ribs. The only complaint I got from one of my friends is they were a tad on the "sweet" side. I always foil with brown sugar as it seems to be the norm, but I think I may try it without any brown sugar and see how it turns out next time.

here's a few pics

2rwon89.jpg

ribs with rub

2dtaal5.jpg

finished product

very nice looking ribs! yea last time i foiled i let them go for too long and they were way too fall off the bones. i think i need to try to find some of this tiger sauce!

very nice looking ribs! yea last time i foiled i let them go for too long and they were way too fall off the bones. i think i need to try to find some of this tiger sauce!

I got mine off Amazon. Being a Prime member got it in 2-days. I also hear Walmart has it but it might be by the case only.

Back