QuadCopter recommendations?

Must be the year of the drone. I got one as a present this year to fly around the competitions. Sky shigging!

Resurrecting an old thread, but did anyone get a quad for Christmas? I'm still flying my Syma X5, though took a break for several months. The X5SW has this new 'headless orientation' and can display the camera view right to your smartphone. The controller even comes with a nifty holder so you can watch it as you fly. Sadly, you now have to register these things...

"It is designed to fly about 1,000 to 1,650 feet off the ground with a maximum altitude of 11,500 feet and top speed of 63 miles per hour."

1,700 feet and 64 mph or I'm not buying. ;)

Just get a little Hubsan X4, no FAA registration needed. Besides, just think how small the numbers would be.

Just get a little Hubsan X4, no FAA registration needed. Besides, just think how small the numbers would be.

better have some small print! I never finished up the 450mm quad I started.... I'll have to read the regulations. I saw something about the ones weighing <8oz or so not needing it, but "drone" to me means capable of autonomous flight....... there were already regs stating it had to be within sight of the pilot, under a certain height, certain distance from unsuspecting crowds ? etc

Saturday & Sunday there was a small airplane (real plane) flying around my neighborhood, a lot lower than I liked. I started calling my neighbor (pilot) to come out (I just got home) but my phone rang.

If too low, report !
FSDO SLC

I thought about it - sounded like it was dive bombing my house. The closest airport is ~7 miles as the plane flies, I think. I've never flown that low (with friends), especially not making big turns. Saw him twice...........my neighbor, he was more excited about hearing about a plane than anything.

I didn't see a tail # before I was distracted.

I thought about it - sounded like it was dive bombing my house. The closest airport is ~7 miles as the plane flies, I think. I've never flown that low (with friends), especially not making big turns. Saw him twice...........my neighbor, he was more excited about hearing about a plane than anything.

I didn't see a tail # before I was distracted.

Minimum height over populated areas is 500' . That's really low BUT I fly my gassers (50 cc) above that (sometimes when I'm doing loops) but consider: that's only a bit more than two football fields high. It seems really low (well, it is) to someone on the ground but in all likelihood, your low-flier was probably well above that minimum.

This is a little disappointing. Even though I haven't flown my planes in years (we talk about going out every once in a while), looks like I'll have to register them. My Syma x5 quad is OK @ ~86 grams, but the 450 sized quad I worked on is definitely over the weight limit.

http://www.popsci.com/big-fight-over-little-airplanes

"Trying to balance the new world of drones with the old world of model airplanes, in December 2015 the FAA made a sweeping decision with a rule that required every drone aircraft over 250 grams (roughly half a pound, or the same weight as two sticks of butter) be registered with the FAA. That includes almost every model airplane model, as well as some large motorized paper airplanes. In announcing the low weight limit, well below the 2 kilogram standard of nations like Canada and the 2 pound recommendation from the AMA, the FAA cited the potential risk of small planes falling and crashing onto people. That’s a tight restriction for a category of aircraft with an aviation safety record better than that of turtles."

Clint, "Big brother is watching you". Pretty sad that the FAA has to get involved because a small minority of idiots cause trouble for the rest.

For those flying drones weighing 0.55 lbs, but less than 55 lbs, TODAY is the last day to register.

From the FAA website :

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is reminding drone owners about this week’s registration deadline.
If you own a drone weighing more than 0.55 lbs. but less than 55 lbs., and you’ve been flying it outdoors or plan to fly it outdoors for hobby or recreation, federal law requires you to register by this Friday, February 19, 2016. Registration is simple. You can register online at FAA.gov– it costs only $5 and is valid for three years. Once you complete the registration process, you will receive a certificate and an FAA registration number which must be marked on all unmanned aircraft that meet the registration weight requirement. You must have your certificate with you when you fly. You can print your certificate or save it to your personal electronic device, like your smartphone, or do both. “Besides being required by law, registration provides an excellent opportunity to educate yourself if you are new to aviation, and it will help you become part of the safety culture that has been the hallmark of traditional aviation for more than a century,” said FAA Administrator Michael Huerta. More than 342,000 people have already registered. Failure to register with the FAA could result in one or a combination of the following: a civil penalty of up to $27,500; a criminal fine of up to $250,000; imprisonment for up to three years.

https://registermyuas.faa.gov/

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/

They got my $5. I'd have waited because the only quad I have that's above 1/2 pound is still only 3/4 built. It didn't ask anything about the vehicle (plane/quad), they just gave me a number so I'm thinking I could use it on my airplane & quad......& 450sized heli in case I ever finish building that :)

The pictures on the site were just quads & drones, no airplanes or helicopters; I'm not sure what all is going on but I bought my ticket.

12711165_10205814474182959_3703040678407149748_o.jpg

Excellent, Clint.
From what I've read, your registration number is good for any hobby type aircraft within the weight range, be it a drone, helicopter, or airplane.

It seems its similar to what your driver's license allows. Albeit with ZERO testing of abilities. And the quote that Bob put up ie: drones, your legislation reads UAS which not only includes drones but aircraft as well. And if you fly any UAS for commercial purposes (take pics and then sell them for example), then that takes your bird out of the UAS (ie recreational) category and puts it in the UAV (commercial) category, which has a whole new set of rules and requirements.

Len,

While not another set of rules, if those of us who have licenses for full sized aircraft were to violate these rules, we could have actions taken against our licenses. Not a pretty sight !

Clint, don't know if you're an AMA member but I came across this tidbit regarding that forced registration:

Was posted by Jay Smith (Editor-in-chief Model Aviation magazine):
We believe the registration process is in violation of
Section 336, in which Congress states that the FAA
cannot proclaim rules or regulations for model
aircraft. We also believe that an AMA membership
already meets the requirements for registration … it
is unnecessary for members to register again
through the FAA when they are already registered
with AMA.

Back