QuadCopter recommendations?

Clint...

Another good catch. Sad that so few have wreaking it for so many.

Another case of a person acting without consideration for anything or anyone else. If that drone is in the lake, all of us will eventually pay for it's removal ! Because of a very few inconsiderate people's actions, these copters are now illegal to fly within a National Park, National Forrest, National Preserve and National Monument.

Bob H...

While Amazon's marketing department have come up with an interesting concept, it's not practical Safety wise. Licensed pilots are regulated by law to fly at an altitude which does not endanger the lives of people on the ground or on the water. When in the air, we must use the See and Avoid concept to maintain clearance from other aircraft thereby minimizing the chances of a mid-air collision. Amazon's proposal could endanger both the pilots, their passengers, the people on the ground and additionally those people on the ground if there is a mid-air with one of those drones. We are talking about everyone's safety.

Personally, these copters are kind of cool and an interesting hobby enjoyed by many. While at my last employer's shop (retired now... well, kind of ;) ), I would often look up to enjoy the RC planes being flown over in the next canyon. The level of detail some of these people have achieved with their planes is amazing. I have no ill feelings regarding RC planes, control line planes, RC helicopter and anything in between as long as their users are considerate of others and everyone's safety.

I agree 100% with you Bob! I guess just goes to show you a little charm, luck, stupidity, or whatever....... they didn't even get the guys info. Such a new topic for me.....I don't even know where I stand (other than following the laws to a T, even safer)...or the laws...or the safety........ seems much of the damage is from FPV fliers because when you're relying on your line of sight, that's pretty darn small...you lose visual and down it goes....FPV though (or unmanned, programmable tours), that would allow fliers to go wherever their luck and technology can take them.

they're coming out with the autopilot car----supposedly.... Tech is freaking me out a bit......the makers are smart, programmers....internet......everything is so accessible. These kids coming up....there will be some new Bill Gates / Steve Jobs / etc.... even (name your favorite artist, athlete, scholar here). It's moving way too fast :)

About 10 yrs ago, watched a couple of guys use FPV to control an RC plane at that RC airfield next canyon over. The gentleman controlling via FPV was inside his motorhome with a 'backup' pilot, in case of loss of FPV control, was standing outside on the flight line with his transmitter. Other than the transmitters, receivers and servos, everything else was home built. Worked extremely well. And loads of fun to watch, both outside as inside.

Oh... Those autopilot cars... chuckle ;)
Can you think of worst situation to have the infamous blue screen :rolleyes:
On the other hand... might be vast opportunities for those looking into entering the electronics repair field (as long as they're not just parts changers...)

Bob
who well remembers triodes and pentodes and how warm a room filled with them became ;) ,
built a artificial speech 'processor for a science project sponsored by Bell Labs in '62 using those newfangled transistor things...

Last edited:
Next Quad:

The Syma X5 w/ remote (no camera) $39.99: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00K5Y22VG/tvwb-20
4 extra batteries w/ a charger: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00LK0DY3O/tvwb-20

Stepping up the size!!! See how I take to the larger models. RC used to be so much more expensive, less popular, and nothing was in stock.....it'd take >2 weeks to get any replacements....... this guy's complaints mean nothing to me :)

[video=youtube;xX4TUtXXZCo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3679939033&feature= iv&src_vid=hxRjUH-9pU8&v=xX4TUtXXZCo[/video]

just a couple concerns, this won't be an indoor flier, but once you get into the advanced modes wind won't be much of an issue. Also, I haven't seen any gruesome injury videos from the quads (haven't looked), but the larger helicopters.... if they hit a person it looked like they were hit repeatedly with a samurai sword.....so care needs to be taken with these too I assume (this comes with blade protectors butttt).... I'll try to find some step by step practice things----you don't want to just fly all over like this guy is doing, need to do hover exercises in all directions until it becomes natural

...this isn't the site I was looking for but I was looking through it a little last night: http://quadcopter101.blogspot.com/2013/10/chapter-1-introduction-to-quadcopters.html

>>>>edit: this might be another good option for a beginner/novice like myself: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00EZ3QE2Q/tvwb-20

be sure to check out the video in the first review if interested.....

Last edited:
If your pool was in my back yard, the cover would have to be off as my lab would love to swim out and retrieve that Hubsan.
Enjoy the next step up with the Syma!

Cool vid Clint, but I did have to call the SLC chapter of the ASPCA. :p

I have a V911 coming Friday, see what you started! :mad:

not sure I'd recommend the syma just yet.... there's one made by vl toys that I think might be more durable. The syma has already seen some minor damage, it's not quite what I expected

Cool vid Clint, but I did have to call the SLC chapter of the ASPCA. :p

I have a V911 coming Friday, see what you started! :mad:

The V911 is a ton of fun! I have to admit, I was amazed at how small/light it was though. It took a beating, but I still needed parts.

Clint...

Kewl video !!! Looks like loads of fun for all ;)
Chris might need to add another section to this site for the TVWBB Flight Team !

I can see it coming now, treads started with quadcopter taking overhead shots of a WSM with a load of ribs.:p

How about the quad hovering while the slab is loaded and then delivering the plate of ribs to the lucky person designated to eat the ribs? Or we all go to Rich's place for ribs
on the patio expertly delivered on quads flown by Clint and Bob Correll? If we could have that party, who needs Amazon's quad delivered packages!

How about 3 Bob posts in a row.

Bob H, I'm still mastering a little indoor heli, don't get me near a quad delivering food! :rolleyes:

I was just thinking how big one of theses quads would have to be to lift a full rack of ribs or more.
Lets just work on air lifting a few ABT's until we get the feel for it.
We don't want our ace pilots Bob C. and Clint to get over stressed right from the start.:cool:

Hey Bob Correll: Have you mastered that V911 yet? I got mine back in the air this morning. It had been a while and I had forgotten how much I had to mess with the trim just to get it right. Its really calm here today so I just took it out to the backyard for a few short flights. I'm having to retrain myself a bit, but its coming back.

practice your hovering! & seems with the helis I pretty much have to keep on the rudder (left sticks side-to-side) most of the time, especially while taking off- that's reduced (mostly eliminated) on the quads. Practice hovering facing you, away from you, basically all orientations until you don't have to think about it at all....and then get one with collective pitch & do it all again....Upside-Down!

I looked at my heli kit yesterday and thought about putting it together... I also ordered parts to build my first 450 sized (450mm from diagonal motor centers) quad... looking forward to that.

>>>edit: nice to fly in near zero wind outside.....almost every morning it's been calm lately. My small quad (the Husban x4) can fly in the wind with almost no problems, but the bigger syma (another quad, it's a 230mm size) doesn't do so well in the wind. It's bigger and more powerful (by far), but it doesn't handle the wind------it's great to fly on still mornings, and it's even tame enough to fly inside....when sober

Last edited:

Back