Pulled Pork Tacos

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
My wife and I went to the big pork sale this last friday. One of the things I got was a 14 pound twin packer for $1.49 / lb.

In the cart with a couple of whole loins.

20150206_180849.jpg

I experimented with the snake set up for smoking on a regular kettle this last fall. This is my first big and long cook using this method.

20150207_144048.jpg

The 7 pounder rubbed and ready.

20150207_144733.jpg

About an hour in. First wood chunk is gone and color is starting to take.

20150207_165740.jpg

10 hours later the charcoal was almost gone and the internal temp had hit 210 deg. Foiled, wrapped in towels and off to bed.

20150207_235405.jpg

Nice bark and falling apart.

20150208_103401.jpg

I dont use no fancy single use plastic claws to pull, just regular old forks.

20150208_104311.jpg

The final product that the whole family enjoyed.

20150208_125930.jpg

The Pig Pen done good, ill take 4 tacos please.
Did you count how many coals you used for the snake? like i do haha.

Last edited:
I dont count. I just dump and start stacking until I figure I have enough for what I am cooking. I do take into consideration the amount of meat, type of meat and air temps.

Very NICE Tim!
YummyTHIN sliced rads in there too!
I'd eet 5 or 4 of those... Beautiful !

Tim.

How many briqs did you use to start the snake? I need to try that.

Oh yeah, I'll have a taco please.

Thanks every one. They are awesome tasting.
I did not count how many briqs I used. I just dumped a pile in and started stacking. Temps were 30 deg F during the day and dipped into the low 20s at night. That along with a big ol' hunk of cold meat I figured I needed a double ring of charcoal. The outer ring is 4 high and the inner ring is 3 high. 2 hunks of hickory are buried in the start and about a quarter of the way around. This is a Weber 3 wheeler with 2 closed and one open. Temps stayed 225-250 the whole cook.

Timothy - what a great cook. I like the masterful way you factored the ambient temps into your plan. That wasn't your ordinary snake there - it was an anaconda - and exactly what you needed for the job. Excellent work - those tacos look fabulous!

Regards,

John

Yummm, looks great! Pulled pork can be used so many ways. We like to make nachos with it too! I bet those tacos were really good!

Back