Pulled Pork Overnighter

Pat G

TVWBB Emerald Member
Picked up a 9# pork shoulder on sale for $1 a pound.

20200328_190218.jpg

Applied some Rich's Rub.

20200328_190845.jpg

Put it on the 18WSM with some post oak for flavor.

20200328_202129.jpg

The WSM settled in at about 265 and I let it run all night at that temp. At about 8AM the temp started dropping so I opened the vents up for the home stretch. This was after 14 hours. The shoulder was at 205 and very tender, time to pull it off.
20200329_084404.jpg

I let it rest for a few hours wrapped in foil and a towel in a cooler.
20200329_132912.jpg

Shredded.
20200329_133900.jpg

I made some sliders and packed some up for a couple of my buddies at work.
20200329_155120.jpg

Good stuff. Thanks for looking. :cool:

Last edited:
Hey, what are you doing with my rub?!?! :)

Looks mighty tasty, Pat. I've got a 4 pounder in the fridge, it will probably get the same treatment yours just did....

R

That's what I'm talkin about, love it when they put the shoulders on sale. I always get two, grind one and smoked the other for PP. Yours looks great.

Hey, what are you doing with my rub?!?! :)

Probably similar to yours.................actually Rich Dahl sent me some of his after I sent him a part for one of his rehabs. He was kind enough to use a printed recipe for the label.

Probably similar to yours.................actually Rich Dahl sent me some of his after I sent him a part for one of his rehabs. He was kind enough to use a printed recipe for the label.

I figured it was a different Rich! :) I haven't made my own rub in ages. Most of what I use is Dizzy Pig stuff with the occasional bottle of other random stuff. Mr. Dahl is a stand up guy, must be the name! ;)

R

Pat, I created that a long time ago, this will be the 20th year since I made the first batch. I've tinkered with it over the years but always go back to the original recipe which is the one you have. I even tried it on a ribeye steak and surprisingly it was quite good. I've shared it with many people and never had any bad reviews on it. It's not that I have a talent for making rubs but like I always say even a blind chicken can find a kernel or two every now and then.😉

Yummy! I'd take three of those sandwees! I have a nice little pork cushion roast I think I'll get out to thaw. I see pulled pork in my future!

Pat, first thing I gotta say is PICKLES! So cool you have pickles on your sammies! LoveIt!!
Then, your photos look great! Beautiful night shot there... And the Pork... Fantastic!
now I got a taste for pulled pork.....

Thanks for this posting ;)

Back