PSA - Always wear shoes.

@Jason Godard & @JCalchik OMG that sounds terrible. Thanks for sharing, I avoid shoes and even despite a bee sting, have continued my practice. You have given me good pause for thought to finally grow up and wear shoes... wishing you a speedy recovery

Add me to the burnt my foot on hot coals club, but thanks for the reminder.

I admit I have recently gone barefoot when cooking with lump. Time to leave some slip ons by the door.

Another "Been there done that". I was lucky in that stepped on a piece of coal with my heel. Blistered up & hurt for several weeks like there was a rock in my shoe.
I've also dropped hot ash on the tops of my feet when dumpling coals from a charcoal starter. No permanent burns, but it sure does hurt!
Be careful folks!

I had my normal semi-annual diabetic visit this morning. My doctor has confirmed that I appear to be treating it well, and healing up well. She did have some concern over the callus on it right now, and attempted to clean that up a bit with a derma-blade. Must to her surprise, the callus really wasn't that thick, and I'll need to just treat it with a collageness dissolver (it removes dead skin and tissue very nicely) and a small bandage.

Short story: doc says looks good, keep on keepin' on.

When using the Weber chimney, after dumping out the lit coals, always ... always look down inside the chimney. Chances are good there's one little hold out down there whose hanging on for dear life, ready to drop where you don't want it and cause you pain of some sort.

When using the Weber chimney, after dumping out the lit coals, always ... always look down inside the chimney. Chances are good there's one little hold out down there whose hanging on for dear life, ready to drop where you don't want it and cause you pain of some sort.
Ahhh… I have had that little bugger more than once…..

I rarely go barefoot due to having a wood deck but do wear hiking sandals during the hottest part of the summer, but on a few occasions I wear my pj's and house shoes out to fire up the smoker in the early am... will be super careful

I'm nearly completely healed up, basically one more layer to slough off.

My g/f & I are going on a quick road trip at the end of next week, and stopping in to say hi to my buddy. It was his place where I burned myself (with a 12 hour solo drive the next day, but I digress,) and I'm sorely tempted to go pick up a cane or a pair of crutches to walk into his house. "Amputation is scheduled for next week." Yeah, I know. I have a mean streak.

I got a chimney of lump charcoal going the other day, and it smelled funny, like burning car tires. I thought is was because it was mesquite and maybe I just don’t like the smell of mesquite…..turns out it was my shoe, melting. Better my shoe than my foot.

Attachments

• 79E925E0-29E3-42A6-9DF1-4C2A87849EB2.jpeg
    79E925E0-29E3-42A6-9DF1-4C2A87849EB2.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 21
... but I stepped on a decent sized coal that fell out unnoticed when dumping the chimney. I’m on day 8 and still limping. Always wear shoes.
I'm recovering from that very thing...
Wear SOMETHING on your feet...
I did that same thing last year.
That’s one reason I ... never wear flip Flops!
Wearing shoes when cooking with charcoal is mandatory. Yikes !
I always go barefoot when I cook... I am going to shoe up.
I learned the hard way many moons ago.......
Another "Been there done that". I've also dropped hot ash on the tops of my feet
AMATEURS!
1645131708602.png1645131728491.png

Well Jim, you are truly lucky (or skilled at heat dodging) but, I’ve never liked flip flops anyway, not comfortable on my feet. I also rarely wear shorts for that matter.

When I’m at work I wear my boots, Thorogoods these days, if I’m home I’m in some sort of flip flop or another. I have several pairs and I recommend Olakai’s for outdoor use. They are damn nice and tougher than most. I also picked up some amazing arch support recovery flip flops that have been a life changer.

Get your self a high quality sandal, feet are important.

When I was an apprentice a wise old electrician told me, kid make sure you have good boots and a good bed, we spend too much time on both not too have quality. 25 years later I follow that to this day.

Back