PSA - Always wear shoes.

Well all I can say after reading all these posts. Charcoal chimneys definitely suck. That is why I quit using them a few years back. When I found charcoal that I can light right in the grill that I am using. Say like Jealous Devil. There is no need to dump a bunch in a chimney charcoal, try to move it around & dump it in the grill. This way you aren't burning up your deck, your feet or your shoes. Its much easier to control the charcoal heat this way & you don't burn anything down. I guess after reading this post this is why they outlaw charcoal in the forest, It really shows how careful people aren't. So my advice: throw away the charcoal chimney, buy a decent charcoal that doesn't spark, put the amount you need in your grill/smoker, get a small propane torch, spend about 5 minutes lighting the charcoal & wait about 20-30 minutes you are ready to go.
No more burns on your skin, your clothes, your deck ect, ect ect ect.......
There are better ways out there.
ps if no propane torch a couple little fire starters will work.

I can cook bacon “au natural” with no worries. I bake it! Yes,completely unrelated but, I bake my bacon. Put it in a cold oven and watch cartoons for a while.

Yup....... 1 year later, and the doc said when I was in to see her in March that if she didn't already know there was an injury there, she'd have skipped right by it in my foot exam. I can still tell that there's a scar there, and I hope that I never repeat this. And that hopefully somebody else learns to really be careful about where they step.

I can cook bacon “au natural” with no worries. I bake it! Yes,completely unrelated but, I bake my bacon. Put it in a cold oven and watch cartoons for a while.
This is how I learned to cook bacon when I was growing up. I was in college before I found out that people actually fry bacon on the stovetop.

Back