Prime Beef Brisket - Where????

JHunter

TVWBB Super Fan
I am in Richmond VA, and can't find whole packers, only flats and corned beef. Its been really hard to find a regular Brisket as of late, so I figure may as well buy close to the best Brisket I can.

Where can I order one, either online or in Richmond, VA.

Thanks,

J

There is a Restaurant Depot in Richmond, VA at:

Restaurant Depot
7951 Brook Road
Richmond, VA 23227
(804) 266-7600

They often let folks shop with a KCBS card (they do it here in the San Francisco area) or you join. Its free to join but you do need a business or non-profit license number. Call and ask what they want.

I buy prime packer briskets in San Jose, CA for around $4 per pound

Have you tried your local Costco. That's where I get my prime packers locally. Can't hurt to talk to the Costco butchers.

Thanks guys Costco around here only has flats. My goodness $4/lb for a Prime Brisket????? i would have one of those every week.... every week. If joining KCBS gets me into the restaurant Depot, then its on...

Thanks

Get a big Yeti cooler and drive down here to Central Texas where prime brisket hovers around $2.50/lb. Load up at the local H-E-B and head back home a happy man.

Jeff

Sounds like a TVWBB Road-Trip Version of "The Blues Brothers":

We're on a mission from God, to:
-Pick-up some delicious, affordable Texas Brisket
-Sample some local Cue, make pilgramages to some worthy joints
-Meet some delightful, colorful Texans

same price in southeastern Wisconsin...

w253CXGv-hEe0rSbEeVBjcfc2LJB-05Rb7EoVMutDldDl6pcMbS-1gWm3n8Y2ch2OjgXRrfzHNWbnF0NqMv_6IVEtLQKbIG9d9L4sYfZnEnh5SNyI0u55lsE_QmRdHTl_cyLqrHiwx1IWKKm6N3ChmaEUBRbBRwZA4xtmE64T_9zB4MuNBNwReRAk3hizZorJHrPnB2nq7br-ebWMYbFNBVRR-9IfM8-UBqKeJpkoBtKhaOCi263LzQybT1dG87cLahA3tgJbJhRfC093tbjo9jFnW_UOE2weMfOGwUmJkWaf7vPMqhEyHOXYQpavTQCLEhdgRltNXqlRE-Q5G3787g3JS0WZQyJ2vQyyxsOi454AigNWZSzT4nYTRVtWtx7b8DyZBg8IBBxSuKNYp59T-W-rV-jQE_BCQLRe-mh7-XTPxoxNINHHX5yIjFG6D3ESbJ95goj1ZZzBv1D1SaSTIxYUHH971pGL_I17ff5n6wqmma8MDYIktPvwv8UaX6wqNvjJr6-IBi83clBA3gr1IaTEHx8ifEW_uvhkLUZsOSgUdMqPSUtit_De-v4mZCg4aUwVJeSFhypoaJkduKPEn0gCVTVuH1ODB2OmDUyME2WqWhA7Q=w479-h638-no

Is it best to get a big or small brisket?

Depends on what size WSM you have, otherwise probably doesn't matter. The 16 lber I posted above is about the limit for my 18", shoehorned onto the grate. I was actually looking for something a little smaller but that was the smallest they had. The bigger the brisket, the better chance for leftovers. ;)

$2.69/lb was the cost at my Costco in Las Vegas yesterday afternoon for a packer. Well worth it, but a lot of trimming is needed.

Depends on what size WSM you have, otherwise probably doesn't matter. The 16 lber I posted above is about the limit for my 18", shoehorned onto the grate. I was actually looking for something a little smaller but that was the smallest they had. The bigger the brisket, the better chance for leftovers. ;)

Briskets seem to be getting longer and longer. I'm buying in the 10-14-pound range and chopping maybe 3" off the thin end of the flat. I cube that up and freeze it to grind later with other beef and pork cut-offs for burgers. Smaller ones will typically have a thinner point, too, which is not always a good thing.

Jeff

Depends on the size of your cooker. I have the WSM22 so I go with the biggest they have when I go to Costco. Love those leftovers.

J... For a long time our Costco did not carry whole Packers. I kept seeing posts here showing lovely Packers all over the country... except here. Then, about two months ago they appeared. So don't give up. You might get a surprise.

Ray, have you priced choice flats ?
anywhere from 8.99 to 12.99 here.

Costco Choice flats were $4.69 or $4.79/lb. When you do the trimming math, the cost is the same. Taste -- Prime, at least to me, taste better. YMMV.

Back