Price of Used WSM's

BR Cameron

I'm routinely seeing 18.5 inch WSM's being sold on FB Marketplace for $100 in my area (Fredericksburg, VA). Most appear to be in good condition. I wonder if this indicates that pellet grills/smokers have really begun to replace WSM's.

I know mine did. High altitude and high winds made using my 18.5 WSM a chore. The pellet grill makes it so much easier, both my wife and I aren't big fans of heavy smoke, so the pellet grill works out really well for us, very easy to control the amount of smoke.

Well, if it does I hope that charcoal prices return to previous “more reasonable“ levels!🤔
Funny you brought that up. Barb and I were at Wallys today and I saw a guy with a couple of bags of charcoal in his cart. First time this year I've seen that.

If I saw an 22” WSM locally in good shape for $100 or so I’d take a look at it.

I got my 18” used last year for $125 and it was already seasoned. Added a Cajun Bandit door, River Country thermometer, Smokey Joe lid water pan, BBQ Guru and TW adapters for use with the Billows. I’d set up a 22” the same way.

If I had to guess, aggregated, pellet poopers already outsell WSMs and are about to outsell gas grills.

Go to any big box store and see how much space is going to pellet machines versus gas or WSMs and you’ll have your answer.

Poopers let anyone smoke any piece of meat without skill or experience. That’s a low entry bar for basic results. Almost a no brainer for unskilled cooks who can’t and don’t want to manage coal, fire, lifting things up and watch a cook on their phone’s app.

There was a thread on this a few days ago, wasn't there? I just bought a 18" WSM for $50 cash from FB marketplace. Only four miles from me. Great shape except for the grates. Doesn't make sense.

If I had to guess, aggregated, pellet poopers already outsell WSMs and are about to outsell gas grills.

Go to any big box store and see how much space is going to pellet machines versus gas or WSMs and you’ll have your answer.

Poopers let anyone smoke any piece of meat without skill or experience. That’s a low entry bar for basic results. Almost a no brainer for unskilled cooks who can’t and don’t want to manage coal, fire, lifting things up and watch a cook on their phone’s app.

I agree. In fact I don't know that WSMs ever really outsold the large variety of pellet grills that are out there. At least taht was my experience when in KCBS land. You could say that it was probably more equal if you compared all charcoal to all pellet. But WSMs were few and far between, and I was cooking on 2 of them at every event. Hell, there were more folks using a BDS than WSMs.

BD

I'm routinely seeing 18.5 inch WSM's being sold on FB Marketplace for $100 in my area (Fredericksburg, VA). Most appear to be in good condition. I wonder if this indicates that pellet grills/smokers have really begun to replace WSM's.
BR - I am also in your area. I live in King George and was in Fredericksburg all day today. Just picked up a 10' Porta-Bote and went food shopping. I saw a steal the other day, a WSM 22 for $75! I missed it. She did not even get back to me.

I'd love to find a 14". Have my 08 18.5" ( well my son does but it's only 3 doors down) and the big guy.
I'll never sell mine.

There are a steady stream of WSMs of all three sizes listed for sale in central Indiana. Prices are all over the place. I just picked up a well-used but servicable WSM 18", so I am finally going to have my chance at trying one.

I have two pellet grills and who knows how many kettles - along with gas grills! I still like gas for when time doesn't allow for charcoal. Also my wife hates all smoke:cry:. I have enjoyed doing bbq chicken and burnt ends on my kettles using a SNS. The pellet grills I have deliver very fine and predictable results. I also like playing around with various types of pellets. So, I think every grill has a place. It does look to be true that pellet grills and griddles are on the major upswing. At the price a new WSM gets at Home Depot today, I am doubtful that they are big sellers.

I will report back after I get my "new" WSM cleaned up and new grates arrive so that I can try it out. I am very curious to see "the difference!"

And here in Southern California, most of us are under the rules of the South Coast Air Quality Management District. When air conditions are less than good, wood fires are not allowed in most cases. But charcoal is not considered a wood product for the purpose of those rules. So, I have my WSM and Kettle cooking up a storm while those pellet fed BBQs and Grill must sit idle...

I agree. In fact I don't know that WSMs ever really outsold the large variety of pellet grills that are out there. At least taht was my experience when in KCBS land. You could say that it was probably more equal if you compared all charcoal to all pellet. But WSMs were few and far between, and I was cooking on 2 of them at every event. Hell, there were more folks using a BDS than WSMs.

BD
Maybe the KCBS future events will allow competition events using your kitchen stove;)

In the process of cleaning and fixing-up my somewhat neglected WSM Classic to do a tasty meat-hunk in the near future.

Attachments

• 61238DD0-6F03-4A24-953D-310FAD0ED4B7.jpeg
    61238DD0-6F03-4A24-953D-310FAD0ED4B7.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 7

Back