Pork Steaks?

David

TVWBB Pro
I've grilled Loin Cuts, with bone, ie the so called Pork Porterhouse, but never called that "officially" as a pork cut, that I've seen before. So, exactly what cut is this Pork Steak we see so often being grilled here? Loin chops?......................d

The pork steak is actually a butt roast cut into blade steaks across the bone. The butt is from the leg when cut from the shoulder. You should try them -- they are very tender. A very different cut from a pork chop ("pork porterhouse") which is a loin and tenderloin seperated by the "T bone".

Ck this out: http://virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts_photos/porkcuts.pdf

I've never seen this name packaged on the meat. Is there a name for this steak commonly called something else? I even asked the butcher the other day, and he looked at me with a frown. Blade steak? And yea, I wanna try them.

Pork Steak is the most common name around here. Blade steak was a name used on the chart. Show him the chart he might be a visual guy.

I've never seen this name packaged on the meat. Is there a name for this steak commonly called something else? I even asked the butcher the other day, and he looked at me with a frown. Blade steak? And yea, I wanna try them.

same here...this is one of those phantom cuts im always seeking every time i go to the market....like chuck eye steaks. :wsm:

Don't know where you shop, but I get mine at BJ's. Select the bone-in butt of your choice and ask the meat department to cut into steaks to your desired thickness. They do it, no questions asked at no added cost. As a matter of fact, the cryo'd butts, probably due to the popularity of the steaks in certain areas. say right on the lable, "Butt Steak Ready" or words of that nature.

In St Louis the "Pork Steak" is the favored meat to Q. Its a Pork Butt sliced into steaks. Frequently the markets sell whole butts, sliced into steaks very reasonably - and they will also sell unsliced butts for the same price.

I've seen them labeled as Pork Ribeyes at HEB. They were delicious.

Well, I found them. I talked to a different butcher and he said, yea, we have those. Said that they had been out for awhile but usually have them, so he went and cut some up. Sure beats the price of a beef steaks, I picked up three nice one's, a single chop, and a bag of corn meal, all for less than ten bucks. They also had ribs on sale for $1.69 a pound and I loaded up for the freezer, another 60 bucks.......ribs, by far my favorite part of a pig.............................d

What is the best way to cook these? Everytime I cook these they dry out. I have cooked over the coals, and indirect no difference. Thanks.

Sam...I recommend looking up cooks by Jim Lampe and Bob Correll. These guys cook pork steaks as an art form. Since pork steak is cut from a pork butt, it is considered a tough cut. Cooked indirect, low and slow about 90 minutes will make this cut fork tender. A nice spice rub adds great flavor. And a finishing sear tops it all off.

Last edited:
What is the best way to cook these? Everytime I cook these they dry out. I have cooked over the coals, and indirect no difference. Thanks.
How thick are the steaks and how high are the temperatures? When I grill them direct I treat them just as I would pork chops, which means they still have a touch of pink when they're done.

I suggest one of two ways.

1 - low and slow, indirect, until you can easily tear off a piece.
times will vary. brush on sauce, if desired, and then a little direct over the cooler coals, flipping to prevent burning.
sear them direct at the start, or at the finish.

2 - direct, flipping often until well browned, and pretty much cooked.
then into a pan of bbq sauce (beer added to sauce is optional) cover, and indirect on the covered grill for at least an hour.

Sorry Brad, no touch of pink in the middle of pork steaks for me.
Not that I have a problem with pink pork, but we're dealing with a tough old pork butt here.

And those two gentleman (Bob and Jim) have taught me how to make them and if you follow either one of Bob's suggestions you can't go wrong!

There usually 1/2 to 3/4 inches. I will give the low slow, then quick sear method. Thanks.

I saw these pork butt steaks in the store yesterday. They look tasty. Wish I could cook more than one day a week. :rolleyes:

Back