Pork Steaks on the 22" WSM - Fixing a popular BBQ Rub

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
Last night was a pretty great night. My mom was in town for a visit, and my in laws were able to come hang out. We opted for the St. Louis tradition that is BBQ pork steaks. For anyone who is unfamiliar, the pork steak is a pork but, sliced anywhere between 3/4" and 1.5" thick.

There are lots of different ways to season pork steak - St. Louis tradition in that regard isn't clear, so I usually apply a BBQ rub an hour or so before grilling them (direct/indirect) with a little smoke wood. I'm currently using up some Killer Hogs "The BBQ Rub" which my better half has dubbed "too sweet" and I tend to agree. I figured it could use some more salt, cayenne, and garlic, so I mixed in half and half with some Tony Chachere's and that did the trick..... I think 2/3 Killer Hogs, and 1/3 Chachere's might have been a little better ratio for most folks.

Here I have the pork steaks on the WSM, I am cooking "direct" over a fire dial, with a mix of lump and KF competition briqs and a few pecan chunks. I turned them about every 10 minutes for 40 minutes or so. Our golden retriever is in the background taking a "well deserved" break. She's only 9 months old and actually behaved pretty well while I was cooking.

IMG-3820.jpg

Nice, sweet smelling smoke coming out the top! This sounds crazy but I like the way I can see blue sky and white clouds reflected on the WSM lid
Simple pleasures are really the best.

IMG-3817.jpg

Here's the best few of the night - with all of the thunderstorms rolling thru the St. Louis area lately, some of the cloud views have been pretty amazing. The way the sun was lighting up this one cloud against the light blue sky, with that dark gray cloud underneath was pretty unusual.

IMG-3822.jpg

Pork steaks turned out pretty well, sorry no pics of the finished plate since things got a little crazy at serving time. I basted with some Q39 bbq sauce, "imported" from KC, and served with baked potatoes and corn. Yum! I'll have to do at least one more round of pork steaks before the end of summer.

Anything pork gets the top of my list, with the prices of beef and chicken. Looks perfect 😊

Wow, those steaks look wonderful. Nice way to enjoy a beautiful evening. Thanks for sharing.

Looks great,1/2-3/4" is the sweet spot for me with pork steaks and high heat, I like the McCormick's smokehouse maple rub a lot on them. you can add a little heat if you prefer but the rub by it's self works well for us. now I am wanting some lol

Pork steaks are great...I usually just grill them with some Lawrys.

So how is it walking on those large stones in your walkway?

Malcom Reed usually applies his "The A.P. Seasoning" as a first layer, then he follows with "The BBQ Rub" as a second layer of seasoning. He also has "Hot BBQ Rub" that can be used the same way or mixed with "The BBQ Rub."

Pork steaks are great...I usually just grill them with some Lawrys.

So how is it walking on those large stones in your walkway?

The stones there are not in a walkway - it's an area between the patio and fence where we were having a lot of drainage issues - there is a french drain under there to prevent general "swampiness". We do stumble around in the rocks on occasion to grab errant tennis balls and/or water hanging plants. I'm thinking about putting in more stone in other areas because I have other parts of the yard where mulch keeps washing out.

Malcom Reed usually applies his "The A.P. Seasoning" as a first layer, then he follows with "The BBQ Rub" as a second layer of seasoning. He also has "Hot BBQ Rub" that can be used the same way or mixed with "The BBQ Rub."
I forgot about Malcom's multi layered approach with "That good Killer Hogs" rub :cool:

sad :cry:not to see the pork steaks after grilling/smoking, but happy:D to see others using their WSMs :wsm22: to cook them.

it's been a while - thank you for reminding me of the two i have in one of my freezers...
going to pull them out now.

Barb and I are kinda new to pork steaks, but really like them. Yours look great.
Not new to Golden Retrievers though we've had five purebreds share there lives with us all rescues and our current one is a Golden / Huskey / Coyote mix, saw that face and I knew she was coming home with us (see Avatar) best dogs on the planet.

It may be cheaper to purchase a butt to slice into steaks than buying the steaks outright.
I love pork steaks. I do them hot and fast. Sometimes just SPG and sauce them at the end with something a bit sweet, but not a lot.
They go quite well with dill weed and garlic.

Back