Pork Chop Grill

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I made probably the best pork chops I've ever made last night. These were sliced off of a whole pork loin that I bought for New Years Day and frozen until Sunday night, when I moved 'em to the fridge. Monday night before bed, I brined them in 1 cup apple juice, 1 cup water, 2 teaspoons each of salt, brown sugar and a kona-coffee-based rub my in-laws brought me back from Hawaii.

Last night, I rinsed & dried them, added a light coat of vegetable oil and salt/pepper/garlic and threw 'em on a screaming hot (550 degrees?) grill. I cooked them for a total of 4 minutes per side, flipping/rotating at 2 minute intervals. Here they are after the first flip:

I had some asparagus in the fridge, so I cooked that up with some olive oil, salt & pepper:

Back inside, I cooked up a pouch of "onion spaetzle" for a side and consumed with a Love Stout from Yard's:

There was just enough left to make up a lunch plate for work today. That's when I knew that these were the best chops I've ever made. Usually, reheated grilled meats aren't as good as when they're fresh off the grill. These were just as juicy and tender after a spin in the microwave! It's too bad my wife & son are off visiting her folks for Spring Break...he'd have loved these chops. Guess I'll just have to make them again!

Very nice cook Chad, we do a lot of those because their so lean. You can go from moist to dry as a bone in a very short time. Brining them really helps and you sure nailed that cook.

Nice looking grill marks Chad. We eat a lot of pork loin, I'm gonna borrow your bring technique. Thanks for sharing.

Great looking chops Chad! It looks like with the brine and great grilling technique they turned out perfect. I love that wok. I want something like that to stir fry vegis in. I love the grill marks. When I try and make it pretty like that it never turns out! Great meal!

Keeping loin chops juicy can be a challenge for me, thanks for posting the details of your super looking cook Chad!

Chad you nailed that one they look delicious. Thanks for sharing your brining recipe, will be trying that real soon.

Great looking chops Chad! It looks like with the brine and great grilling technique they turned out perfect. I love that wok. I want something like that to stir fry vegis in. I love the grill marks. When I try and make it pretty like that it never turns out! Great meal!

Thanks! The wok was a $5 clearance deal at Lowes just after Christmas. I've had a bunch of "grill pans" of various types (wire mesh, perforated aluminum or steel, etc.) but this one (Weber, stainless steel) has been the best. It's actually getting a "seasoning" like my carbon steel skillet, so it's super easy to just wipe out the gunk or, if necessary, burn it off. I wish it was a little bigger sometimes, but maybe I just need to find a similar design in a larger size. For stir-frying, you might want a handle, but I just keep an old pair of channel-locks around to grip it and shake when needed.

And I got totally lucky on the grill marks. Rarely do they every come out that nice for me.

Looks good. My wife makes homemade spaetzle. We prefer it with cheese (kase spaetzle). (I lived in Germany for 9 years).

My son could live on spaetzle. A grocery store near us has dried in stock a few times a year, so I grab up a dozen or so bags at a time. This particular preparation was a pre-packaged job with more sodium than I should have in a week. It tastes OK, but not as good as straight up spaetzle sauteed in butter and onions. Learning to make my own is on my to-do list for the fall/winter (when we're stuck inside a lot).

Back