Pork Butts 165 to 200 - How Long?

Mark D. Anderson

TVWBB Member
I'm smoking 2 Boston butts this weekend and the recipe I'm following says to smoke 'em to 165, then foil 'em, then put them back in until they hit 200. Any theories how long going from 165 to 200 in the foil might take? I'm trying to figure out my schedule...

Thanks in advance!

It really depends. I've had them get to 165 really quick then creep to 200 for hours. Then the next one took its sweet time to 165 then steady to 200.
but I'd say you still have 5ish hours to go once you wrap. I keep my temps at 250 so keep that in mind also.

I'm with the above poster.

I've had butts stall unwrapped for hours and hours.

I'm keeping a detailed log these days - last butt I did for Memorial day was bone in, 6.25lbs trimmed and prepped.

I logged 8 hours on the WSM, average temp at the grate was about 260F, and the butt stalled twice, at 169F and 181F

I was hoping to do a full smoke and cook unwrapped, but time was ticking away, so I pulled it and wrapped it, in the oven at 300F and it pushed thru the stall to 203F in 1 hour. I went to 300F cuz the planned dinner time was racing at me fast.

But I did budget a full hour of resting before pulling/serving.

Here is a pic (bone came out easy and clean, bark was acceptable)
5-30-16-pork-butt-after.jpg

Not the best butt, but the family rating was a solid 8.0 for taste and tenderness (I always have the family give me a grading after dinner).

Wrapping always help me get past the stall, how fast will depend on the thickness of your cut and the temp of your cook.

Last edited:
Something else to remember is that 195 to 200 is not a magic number. When the temp hits 195, you want to test with a probe or toothpick to see if the meat is tender. If not wait 30 minutes and probe for tender again. Repeat until probes tender. Good Luck.

Something else to remember is that 195 to 200 is not a magic number. When the temp hits 195, you want to test with a probe or toothpick to see if the meat is tender. If not wait 30 minutes and probe for tender again. Repeat until probes tender. Good Luck.

Beat me to it Bob " it's done when it's done"

As others have said, each butt is unique. Had longest cook I've ever had this past weekend. 18 hours, it's done when it decides to be done.

Bill, Jim! Fellas you have just handed straight lines for an un ending number of jokes. I think I will just go try to let the "butts" of these jokes marinate for a while. Maybe I'll have a smoke and think it over.
OK, I will just to stand in the corner!

Back