Pork Belly for Dinner

Karl Quist

TVWBB Pro
I pulled a section of pork belly out of the freezer a couple of days ago. Marinated it today with some soy sauce, lime juice and little sugar (didn't have honey). The organic Kikoman is my preferred general soy sauce right now. It has a more subtle, fermented, wheaty flavor than regular Kikoman.

Anyway, cooked out on the Performer with a chunk of cherry wood, about 275F or so. Couple of hours until it probed tender. The final temp was about 185F-ish or so.

I made up a separate batch of the marinade and glazed it every once in a while, then charred it up a little over direct heat. Maybe a little too much on the fat side, but after a rest it was perfect. Crunchy crust, tender as all get out. Delicious.

Not pictured: steamed broccoli and some leftover brown rice. My beverage was ice water. :cool:

EDIT: I did share this with the family. But it was difficult.

PXL_20230424_003539363.jpg

PXL_20230424_003924744.jpg

Last edited:
Edit: @Karl Quist I originally said pork butt -- I meant pork belly.

That does look amazing! I've made bacon, but have always hesitated to try pork belly cooks and have not had the chance to try anyone else's. During our cruise a couple of weeks ago, one of the offerings was grilled pork belly, so how could I resist? It was VERY good, though I personally found it to be a bit too fatty (nature of the beast?). It's probably time for me to do some research here in Cooking Topics and this forum to see it I can do better. Costco always has good looking pork belly available, but it's a lot. Still -- try it out and reduce to bacon as needed, right?

Karl, in view of what I said about fattiness, do you or anyone else have any comments?

Killer job.
With a new costco membership I better be getting myself come belly soon......burnt ends is all I know to make with the belly.
Those go over extremely well.....let me know next time you are making this, I call dibs on the meat juice that is everywhere.

Thanks everyone. As far as fattiness goes, not really fatty, at least this piece. Just beautiful porky deliciousness.

This came from a pork belly I bought at Costco and divided into quarters. 2 of the quarters were made into bacon ala Bob Correll. I still have one quarter left in the freezer. I think it's going to get cooked up this same way. It's just too good to pass up.

.burnt ends is all I know to make with the belly.
Darryl ,
You can also cook the fresh belly skin on (fresh bacon ) P.E.I Maritime style = put the fresh belly in the freezer until it firms up then slice into bacon slices about 1/8 " thick and cook in frying pan just like you would bacon , cook until fresh bacon is fully cooked and firm and skin is completely crispy you should be able to snap it in half like a wood twig when done. Serve with bread and butter pickles is a must .🥓

Last edited:
Like it Karl, I see those pork belly's all the time at Costco and still have never bought one...
Somehow @Karl Quist , I think you are going to cause a run on pork belly at Costco. o_O I've seen full or half slabs of pork belly, but find the packs of 2 inch slices of more interest to me. Used one to make bacon. Experience making bacon helps with those cuts. Could be ideal (?) for your cook or for burnt end pork belly. Can't say as I haven't tried it.

I pulled a section of pork belly out of the freezer a couple of days ago. Marinated it today with some soy sauce, lime juice and little sugar (didn't have honey). The organic Kikoman is my preferred general soy sauce right now. It has a more subtle, fermented, wheaty flavor than regular Kikoman.

Anyway, cooked out on the Performer with a chunk of cherry wood, about 275F or so. Couple of hours until it probed tender. The final temp was about 185F-ish or so.

I made up a separate batch of the marinade and glazed it every once in a while, then charred it up a little over direct heat. Maybe a little too much on the fat side, but after a rest it was perfect. Crunchy crust, tender as all get out. Delicious.

Not pictured: steamed broccoli and some leftover brown rice. My beverage was ice water. :cool:

EDIT: I did share this with the family. But it was difficult.

View attachment 69562

View attachment 69563
I'm gonna have to try this someday!

just did this as well, I did 3 in a marinade of soy and mirin one with a traditional BBQ rub.
The kids LOVED the BBQ rubbed version and it was gone quick.

Welp, not trying to pile on, but my family asked to repeat this cook with the remaining piece of pork belly from the freezer. Same marinade, same glaze, cooked until probe tender (about 190F-ish). I used a chunk of hickory this time instead of cherry.

Served with steamed broccoli and asparagus. Pork belly at my local Costco was $2.99/pound yesterday. I did see those 2" strips like Rich mentioned. Those would super good with dry rub and smoked ala burnt ends.

PB-1.jpg

Back