Popcorn

Why have you "had to switch"? If you do it properly with good healthy oils i.e. regular grade olive oil (no taste and higher smoke point) or grape seed oil (peanut oil too) no taste high smoke point there is no health reason to not pan pop. I could see leaving the butter off but even that, if you use high grade grass fed organic butter which is very high in omega 3 fats you're fine

None of the above. Can't stand long enough to take good care of it on the stove. That is why DH now has to do all the cooking. I wasn't about having him make me popcorn so I use the bag stuff in the microwave.

Last edited:
None of the above. Can't stand long enough to take good care of it on the stove. That is why DH now has to do all the cooking. I wasn't about having him make me popcorn so I use the bag stuff in the microwave.
Sorry to hear that, Joan.
I highly recommend trying a Nordic Ware micro popper, or similar, it's so much better than the bagged stuff.

By the way, my wife say no to getting one. "Too many things coming into the house." I guess two NIB WSMs sitting in the dining room are wearing out their welcome. :D

I'm can take care of those for ya, Chris. Happy to take one for the team. :p

Well I took the three quart pan out of the cabinet tonight, added some oil and popcorn and made a batch. Added some salt after dumping it in a bowl. I think I have about $2 into this endeavor so far and I’m pretty happy with the results. My future quest will be to see if some gourmet kernels will make a difference and work on some flavoring. Flavoring is actually a bit of a challenge since DW cannot consume dairy. Not a choice, she gets sick if she does. Nothing like a new little hobby. Gotta say, the results come through a lot quicker than the BBQ’ing (a few minutes versus many hours). Of course no smoke ring. :D

Grandson was a Boy Scout for a short time. I’m sure I can connect from someone in his troop. Thanks.

For many years my dad popped popcorn at night on stovetop.....nearly every weeknight. The shaking across burner rubbed hole in electric burner element and hole thru bottom of aluminum pot eventually.

When air poppers came out, switched to it for ease. But without oil salt doesnt stick. Melted butter is a must.to have salt stick.

For many years my dad popped popcorn at night on stovetop.....nearly every weeknight. The shaking across burner rubbed hole in electric burner element and hole thru bottom of aluminum pot eventually.

When air poppers came out, switched to it for ease. But without oil salt doesnt stick. Melted butter is a must.to have salt stick.

I use a stainless steel pan on a cast iron grate of a gas stove, so I don’t think I could wear a hole in either, but I did think about the abrasion of rubbing those two surfaces together so I lift the pan a bit before I shake it. I don’t think you need to shake it that much anyway. I remember shaking it a lot as a kid but I think that was unnecessary and just how we were taught.

I'm still using the nordic ware microwave popper - I'm using the tall lid model now. I'll throw in ~1 Tbsp of butter in the bottom, a palm-full of popcorn kernels, sometimes some of the popcorn salt or sometimes just grind on some pink sea salt afterwards. Once in a while I'll pop it dry & pour melted butter over it. Red pepper flakes really turn up the orange/popcorn color when added at the start, I probably add them ~20% of the time.

My new microwave takes 4 min to pop.

Edit>>>
I think I might try one of these next time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019CXRMI8/?tag=tvwb-20

the nordic ware poppers crack after a while after hitting the floor....on 2nd thought, maybe glass isn't my best option.

I have this popper and it hasn't been super impressive to me. Leaves a lot of unpopped kernels and if I cook it longer then it burns the popcorn. I had high hopes when I bought it, but hasn't really delivered.

I've been making popcorn on the stove since 2010.

The best thing I make is this:

However, that's something only to be had once every few years. It's so good but I can't have it that often.

For normal popcorn, I've been using Golden Barrel buttered coconut oil for a few years. I used to use plain extra virgin coconut oil, but I think the Golden Barrel is a little better.

I've also been doing Flavacol since I started.

My mom also has one of those Great Northern popcorn machines. I think hers comes out a little better than mine (at least it smells better), but I haven't wanted to purchase another device that takes up space, yet.

I don't think I get consistent results with my method for that perfect movie theater taste, but I usually enjoy the result to an extent, regardless.

I also use Morton's Popcorn Salt.

Sometimes I try unsalted butter, sometimes not, but regardless, I have some trouble getting that consistent perfect buttery and salty taste. Sometimes it leans a little too much in one direction.

I tend to prefer a heavier buttery taste, as I like the greasier feeling popcorn. But as I said, even if it's less so, I can still enjoy the popcorn.

If anyone knows the exact amount of unsalted butter to add, then I'll try that (I make a giant bowl of popcorn, probably close to 10 Quarts, at a time).

I think overall, using the stovetop as I have, the popping is fine. Getting the exact flavor, consistently, is a little harder. Somtimes it comes out better than other times. (I'm trying for a more of a buttery taste, without getting it soggy).

The question I wanted to ask in this post, is this.

I used to sometimes put Cabot White Cheddar Shake on my popcorn, when I wanted that type of flavor.

The still have a group picture of it on Cabot's website, but I think it's been discontinued, as there is no direct info on their website anymore (nor on any of the online retailers where I used to buy it). I'm going to call Cabot to confirm that it's discontinued, but I haven't been able to find it online in a few years.

Snacking-Beauty-Shot.png

Today, I tried an alternative, Urban Accents White Cheddar:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0060UHD0O/?tag=tvwb-20

It was too salty.

Anyone know of a different brand that's closer to the Cabot Cheddar Shake? I want something with more of a cheese taste, than a salt taste.

Weber makes a fine mesh rotisserie basket perfect for making popcorn, but of course WEBER DOESN’T SELL IT HERE. 😡

🤬 ing Weber.

Don't use butter. Use Ghee, which is clarified butter. That's what you are missing.

I thought if I melted unsalted butter in a pot, and passed it through a strainer, it would be the same thing as clarified butter?

Or is it still tricky to do it at home, and I should just buy ghee? Am I getting this part wrong, when I try to make my own at home?

Ghee whiz, the best part of the butter is all the salty solids. Why would you wanna leave them out? 😉😆

I thought if I melted unsalted butter in a pot, and passed it through a strainer, it would be the same thing as clarified butter?

Or is it still tricky to do it at home, and I should just buy ghee? Am I getting this part wrong, when I try to make my own at home?

I don't know about strained butter, but ghee is more akin to what you would find at the movie theater.

This is always what I use to make absolute perfect theater popcorn

Screenshot_20200913-230322.png

In lieu of that, I pop the corn using coconut oil with flavacol or similar popcorn salt added. Either way I drizzle some melted ghee on it because that's essentially the butter they have at the theaters. Most of them use artificial version because ghee is expensive, so ghee is actually old school.

Weber makes a fine mesh rotisserie basket perfect for making popcorn, but of course WEBER DOESN’T SELL IT HERE. 😡

🤬 ing Weber.

This might be a good alternative

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0848PZT23/?tag=tvwb-20

Back