Popcorn

I like the look of that one Bob.

I wonder how smart I'd feel if I wind up with one of these:

81uyO1fx6xL._SL1500_.jpg

I've been in clean up / toss out mode and hope to stay in that mode, so probably not for a while.

I've been stopping myself from buying the Stir Crazy for at least a week now.

I used the stir crazy for a few years, it worked well enough but prefer the micro popper.
It was the older model, some of the non-stick wore off and was a bit of a pain to clean.

70f0512976d75d162d6b18a8deee22c7.jpg

Tried again with the Flavocol last night. First batch was a rounded 1/3 cup of corn, an unmeasured TBS of coconut oil and 1/2 tsp flavocol. All mixed up and popped in a pot on the gas stove. Not bad, but lacking a bit - I added some melted butter and fine sea salt. Second batch I doubled the coconut oil and used a well rounded 1/2 tsp of Flavocol. It was pretty good. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the coconut oil and only used that because I'd read LMichaels post about canola.

Yeah we tried Coconut once and everything tasted like it (the popcorn) and I hated it. Not a big fan of coconut where it does not belong and popcorn is DEFINITELY where it does not. Try a high quality neutral oil like grapeseed oil

Tried again with the Flavocol last night. First batch was a rounded 1/3 cup of corn, an unmeasured TBS of coconut oil and 1/2 tsp flavocol. All mixed up and popped in a pot on the gas stove. Not bad, but lacking a bit - I added some melted butter and fine sea salt. Second batch I doubled the coconut oil and used a well rounded 1/2 tsp of Flavocol. It was pretty good. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the coconut oil and only used that because I'd read LMichaels post about canola.

Sounds good to me! Try a little black pepper once in while! I had decent luck on the stove in my stockpot, but I burned it almost half the time.

Yeah we tried Coconut once and everything tasted like it (the popcorn) and I hated it. Not a big fan of coconut where it does not belong and popcorn is DEFINITELY where it does not. Try a high quality neutral oil like grapeseed oil

I must need some better coconut oil - I <3 coconut but coconut flavor doesn't come through at all. I just made a batch w/ CO to make sure (eating it now) and it's good IMO!

I just did another search & the top few results I looked at all mentioned clarified butter
, so I'll have to try that! I'm seeing how others are popping in pans, so I'll probably try that too.

https://www.recipetineats.com/homemade-movie-popcorn/

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-the-most-buttery-movie-style-popcorn-240547

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...theater-style-buttered-popcorn-recipe-2103372

I would never attempt to pop in clarified butter. Butter has a distinct aroma and the smell of it just makes me nearly puke. I know there are folks that love it but not this kid. AAMOF if I use butter in cooking it is only to "finish" i.e. when sauteing mushrooms I use EVOO for the actual "cook" but I throw a pat of butter and finish with some dark vermouth right at the end so I never have the burning butter smell

what about browned butter & mazithra?!

https://therecipecritic.com/browned-butter-mazithra-spaghetti/

I've never clarified butter but just watched a couple vids on it, seems easy enough. & then once the liquid is removed its smoke point is supposed to be much higher. I'm gonna try clarifying a couple sticks just for fun. I'm fresh out of popcorn, think I'll get some of the multi-colored organic stuff to try too.

My kitchen smells like butter right now...from the coconut oil & flavacol! (small batch, light flavacol)

Still cannot stand the smell. Even the process of clarifying it causes me severe distress from the smell. I know......................I am weird. Basically anything that calls for being cooked in butter i.e. Ravioli in sage and butter I sub EVOO and finish at low heat with the butter.

The neighbor just came over to check out the Switchback that's supposed to be sold tomorrow & he said something about a donut machine------"come check it out!" So he was showing me this, & then they had a popcorn card & hotdog machine right next to it! Not very good pictures but I'll get some in action. They're always having neighborhood & family cookouts, & they'll surprise me with plates of BBQ/pies/pastries (she's a very talented baker).

so anyway........action shots to follow in the coming months:

59350721_10214334783025355_475745246680973312_o.jpg

59429770_10214334784025380_2655939266823061504_o.jpg

think I'm gonna run some kosher or pink salt (I'd better use up some of my pink Himalayan) through the food processor & make that powdered sugar ultra-fine.

I do have some smoked (very fine) pink Himalayan-------that & butter is next.

That looks good too - my red one discolored a little after one of my oddball additives (chocolate / cheeses / sauces / syrup). (edit: the discoloration went away)

I got the Stir Crazy a week or 2 ago & it's the most fun so far. I still haven't made a batch side-by-side to compare with the microwave popper, maybe I'll do that this weekend.

Last edited:
This thread has me wanting some popcorn. I think I’ll try the pan method. First try will be with some good corn and coconut oil but may go to grape seed oil if I don’t like the taste. I’m trying not to acquire any new toys. We’ve been trying to downsize/minimize and bring in a new gadget won’t fly with me or DW, unless I can figure out something to get rid of. I’ll look for the Flavacol but I have the Himalayan sea salt for now.

This thread has me wanting some popcorn. I think I’ll try the pan method. First try will be with some good corn and coconut oil but may go to grape seed oil if I don’t like the taste. I’m trying not to acquire any new toys. We’ve been trying to downsize/minimize and bring in a new gadget won’t fly with me or DW, unless I can figure out something to get rid of. I’ll look for the Flavacol but I have the Himalayan sea salt for now.

depending on how finely ground your salt is, you could whip it around in a food processor or a blender. I did that before smoking some of mine.........still haven't tried that on the popcorn.

depending on how finely ground your salt is, you could whip it around in a food processor or a blender. I did that before smoking some of mine.........still haven't tried that on the popcorn.

So that’s the trick? A finely ground salt? Makes sense. I have some sea salt that was gifted to me that is very fine. It’s from France. Very delicate. I never use it :). Maybe I’ll try that on my popcorn.

Yep, whip it up in the FP and it almost becomes like a powder (which is actually too fine). You still want it to be "granular" not "powder" but finer than say table salt. Very fine sea salt is quite good BTW and out of the box a product from Alessi is very nice https://alessifoods.com/catalog/product/2027/alessi-fine-sea-salt I use this straight from the box. However if you're one of the folks who insists on "dry" popcorn (air popped, microwaved) than even this will not work for good seasoning, You will still have to grind it finer. But I will only eat pan popped and well buttered pop corn anything else is just biodegradable packing material :D

But I will only eat pan popped and well buttered pop corn anything else is just biodegradable packing material :D

OH SO TRUE, SO TRUE!!!!!!! That is how I have popped it all my life,........until lately, sorry to say, I have had to switch to microwave. Ugggg what a difference.

Back