Planned restoration, any thoughts or advice is appreciated - Genesis Silver C?

Greg D from WV

TVWBB Member
How's it going folks.

Spent the last 7 years fighting with a charbroil tru infrared patio bistro LP grill, replacing bits here and there, having the fancy grill surface welds give, and finally the body of the grill rusting away... leading me to finally be able to scrap this grill. Wife balked at the cost of the Webers, and I don't blame her. New... they are not a cheap option.

However, there is always a way. Spent the last few months browsing craigslist and saw quite a number of the older models but they seemed to always be "restored" and costing upwards of $300. Might be a great option for some folks, but not for me. Started seeing more folks getting upgrades (wife got me a new XYZ etc) and hence would give away their old grill, quite often it would be too far away, or would get scooped up super fast.

Then it happened. Wrapping up my yardwork, getting the kids ready for bed, figured why not check the web, and boom. Someone posted a free to a good home older Weber and it was only up for about 20min, jumped on it, got the email, texting and it was a lock. Set it up for the following day, had a slow day at work and set out. Overall was about a 2 and half hour drive round trip, but was able to do it while at work, so not only was it a free grill, I was getting paid to drive out there and get it.

So I ended up with this:

mxDP7a3h.jpg

From reading up, it looks like a Weber Genesis Silver C LP, not sure about manufacture date but the early 2000s? It had been sitting outside for many many days, unused, but the owner fired it up and there was flame coming out of the burner tubes. So at least I know this was functional before I pulled it apart. Did some minor disassembly to get it into my old CR-V (2006) and it is not in the best shape. Appears structurally sound, will do some cleaning this weekend to see if there's any hidden rust, but for now I am trying to read up on restoration and get a plan together on how to move forward.

Here's what I'm looking at (just some photos from in the car):

A5lEcLyh.jpg

9H1G8QSh.jpg

mhO4nLVh.jpg

CirxQ84h.jpg

dw8F5kDh.jpg

1NZVBBZh.jpg

I'd love some advice on specific nuts/bolts to be sure to replace, and any connections or hardware that is smart to replace while getting this thing fixed up. I have read up on the SS ebay flavorizer bars, and will certainly need a set of those. May see how the grates are, they don't feel like they are falling apart.

Is there a specific Manual I should be looking for? I'm browsing the weber site:
https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/manuals/#search

Seems like this is a close option, but not sure if this is what I am looking for:
2261001 Genesis Silver C LP (2000-2001) (USA) Owner's Manual for Genesis C LP (USA) 55009

I'd really like to get a schematic and some direction on how this was assembled from the box so I can tear it all apart and clean everything. I have my Sunjoe MPX powerwasher, and will be hitting some of this thing this weekend.

Appreciate any help or advice you folks have, I'll be working on this and trying to get it up and running, may not be a highly polished like-new restoration but I'm hoping to get it functional soon.

Thanks!

Nice find! With a bit of work and some replacement parts that will be a really nice grill.

Were you able to find the sticker with the serial number? That would help in identifying the exact model and year of the grill (you can plug in the serial # on the Weber site for more info).
http://virtualweberbullet.com/determine-age-weber-grills-smokers.html

As for parts be sure to checkout the sticky thread here in the forum. Looks like you'll need new Flavorizer Bars and a new burner set for sure.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?76176-Weber-gas-grill-parts-source

I took apart most of my grill, bagged up the nuts and bolts, and took them to my local Ace hardware store to get SS replacement hardware. Most of the hardware is 1/4" x 20, just need to get the right lengths.

Simple green was my go to cleaner for most of the grill, with some 0000 steel wool to shine up the lid and control panel. As for cleaning out the firebox grinding it out with a wire cup brush is an option, or others have had success with Sam's Club grill cleaner.

I don't think that is actually an LP grill. It looks like a NG grill someone did a redneck conversion on. Slap a regulator and hose on it, hook up a tank and go. Who cares if flames are shooting up past the grates LOL

For a redneck conversion, they bothered to slap on a propane tank scale.

What makes you think it was originally NG?

I did not see any scale on it so that was a dead give away

There is one on there, apologies the photos from the bits loaded up in the family sled were not all inclusive there. I definitely want to dig into that a bit more though when I get home today, anything I should be on the lookout for?

My thoughts on that is that you are probably laying in a hospital bed reading this on your smart phone because your wife beat the snot out of you for putting that nasty, greasy cook box on her light colored CR-V seats.

My thoughts on that is that you are probably laying in a hospital bed reading this on your smart phone because your wife beat the snot out of you for putting that nasty, greasy cook box on her light colored CR-V seats.

Naaah, she has the newer Forester, I've got the old Honda rockin about 230k on the clock. I do whatever I want to those seats.

Plus the cooktop flipped over just got some pollen on the seat, all the grease flaking stayed in the box, until I get the power washer out this weekend... although I am morbidly curious to see what happens if it stays filthy and gets new burners and let it roast up to full temp.

...though I would probably dial 9-1 and have my finger already on the other 1.

You can find downloadable and printable schematics on line. If you find anything for Silver C it should work just fine. From what I've seen, Weber changed very little on the Genesis over the years.

How far are you wanting to go with this. Are you planing on a complete tear down and restoration, or minor fixing to make it usable? I can't tell for sure but it looks like the cooking grates may be stainless steel. If so they could clean up and be serviceable for long time if they are only dirty. The only thing I saw from the pictures that has to be replaced to make it usable is the flavorzer bars and burners. After that it's up to you how deep you want to dive into it.

You can find downloadable and printable schematics on line. If you find anything for Silver C it should work just fine. From what I've seen, Weber changed very little on the Genesis over the years.

How far are you wanting to go with this. Are you planing on a complete tear down and restoration, or minor fixing to make it usable? I can't tell for sure but it looks like the cooking grates may be stainless steel. If so they could clean up and be serviceable for long time if they are only dirty. The only thing I saw from the pictures that has to be replaced to make it usable is the flavorzer bars and burners. After that it's up to you how deep you want to dive into it.

Not entirely sure yet. I would love to get it mostly apart to give it a good cleaning. Also to be sure none of the parts/structure is sorely in need of repair. I would love to get this thing running and solid enough to last a good long time. The burner tube kit, SS flavorizer bars, and any needed nuts/bolts that I run into are certainly on the list. First thing, I want to be sure I'm not throwing money at something that has damage that would make it a wasted restore project.

I want to improve it as much as needed, and test/verify any replaceable parts that I can. I'll be going slow and steady at this, trying to scrape through anything with rust (the bottom clean out tray is horrifying) and see what shows up.

Yah, good idea to take it slow and be through. Take it apart, down to the bare frame. You will be surprised what problems you might find after doing a full tear down. For instance, check the area between the cook box and the frame cross bar along the left side of the fire box. It tends to rust out pretty bad there.

Then, while you are at it, do a full restore. Any questions you might have along the way can be answered by the members of this forum. But, don't fall into the trap of replacing everything. For instance, the manifold under the control panel might have a lot of surface rust. No biggy, you can't see it anyway and the rust won't be a problem with the functionality for another 30 years. But, if you want, strip it and refinish it. But, don't simply replace it. Same with the burners. If they are still intact, just clean them up with an angle grinder and wire cup brush. It takes 15 minutes and the burners will perform like new and probably last another 5-10 years. Some things you will want to consider replacing are the flavorizer bars and cooking grates. If they are anywhere near the end of their life, find a good quality SS replacement.

Those are just a hodge podge of tips to consider as you proceed.

Here is my first peace of advice. Since you said you are planing to take it apart, you are going to find one bolt that goes through the firebox and the frame. I'ts the only thing holding in the firebox. That sucker can be a real headache. My advice is, if you get a couple wrenches on it and it fights you for more than a couple minutes grab a dremmel or angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and remove it that way. Same advice I got from someone here (I think Bruce) when I was fighting it. Its also the spot that Bruce mentioned could have rust. I've been lucky enough to not have a problem with most of the other nuts and bolts.

As for cleaning the inside, I wold just use the products already mentioned to get the grime off. Grinding out everything sucks and isn't necessary for something that will look the same after you use it a few times. You mentioned the drip pan but may be surprised how nice the drip pan is after you knock off all the big stuff and take a razor to it. The bars that hold the dip pan in looked pretty bad in your picture but they can be cleaned up or replaced.

Take lots o pictures of your progress to share, and ask any questions you can think of.

Oh definitely interested if this was converted. Anything I need to look for?

I think I see the tank scale on the right side, it is black with yellow propane tanks to measure empty half full or whatever the tank gets hung on it. The reg hose usually get threaded thru the bracket if I remember have to check mine.

Here is a picture of the part, Larry might be correct but I think I see it.

https://www.appliancefactoryparts.c...MIq-jg282H4gIVg4nICh3CXAotEAQYASABEgLmJ_D_BwE

But, don't simply replace it. Same with the burners. If they are still intact, just clean them up with an angle grinder and wire cup brush. It takes 15 minutes and the burners will perform like new and probably last another 5-10 years.

I do recall from just glancing at the burner tubes, they were less perforated with hole like OEM but more rusted slits on the sides. Assuming they would need replacing with a nice pretty new set, and the xover ignition tube looked bent a bit... I'll try to get a good photo tonight.

I'm not opposed to replacing some bits, but ofc if I can just clean things up, that's great!

I could tell from the pictures at least the middle burner is shot. And the flavorizer bars, what's left of them are toasted. Once you get deeper into things you might find something else that needs to be replaced. But overall from the pictures you have already put up, I don't think you will have to replace much else. The cooking grates being a possible exception.

Greg,

Welcome aboard!

Late to the party, but from the picture it looks to have that maroon/wine/whatever color hood - a personal favorite. It looks like this one will take some work, but like others are saying just go slow and do it right. If you are willing to invest a lot of elbow grease and buy some quality parts you will have a grill that can't be replicated with some big box fake stainless grill. You will definitely like it. Keep us posted with pictures of how it goes:).

I could tell from the pictures at least the middle burner is shot. And the flavorizer bars, what's left of them are toasted. Once you get deeper into things you might find something else that needs to be replaced. But overall from the pictures you have already put up, I don't think you will have to replace much else. The cooking grates being a possible exception.

Ok, yeah the burner tubes are probably shot. The crossover ignition tube as well. Does NOT look good.

yLLk8m4h.jpg

I think I see the tank scale on the right side, it is black with yellow propane tanks to measure empty half full or whatever the tank gets hung on it. The reg hose usually get threaded thru the bracket if I remember have to check mine.

Here is a picture of the part, Larry might be correct but I think I see it.

https://www.appliancefactoryparts.c...MIq-jg282H4gIVg4nICh3CXAotEAQYASABEgLmJ_D_BwE

Yeah, confirmed that the scale is present, but it does have a bit of surface rust on it.

EvtTvTbh.jpg

Planning to just WD-40 it and see how well it functions once things are re-assembled. Worst case, it's not a major investment to buy another one. Since the decal is there on the side I may not be able to wire wheel it and repaint it, but who knows. It may just clean up fine and I can throw on some matte rattle can since it isn't directly on any heat. As long as that spring is still able to move freely.

Back