Placing wood chunks in the WSM

OK, thin blue smoke vs white smoke.

I typically use about 8 pieces of wood in each smoke for pork butt. I place them half buried into the unlit coals then distribute the dozen or so lit cols over the top. Very soon I see clouds of white smoke then after a while it goes away and I can't see anything coming out of the top vent. When I look inside the door I see there is still some unburned portions of wood, the coals are burning but not much smoke. So I then shake the smoker a little, or open the door and poke around or add another couple of pieces to get things smoking again.

Is this wrong? Am I overdoing it? Someone suggested I use more wood to help the flavor of the meat, and sometimes I add more wood to keep the smoke going.
How does it taste? If you like the results I wouldn't change anything.

I have the WSM 14 and I use a fist size chunk of history, oak, and apple with pork shoulder. About half way through I may added another chunk of apple. Considering the size of the WSM's charcoal chamber that's probably more wood than is required but I like it. I do get white smoke at first but after about 45 minutes to an hour it's mostly cleared out. I put meat on once the temperature gets to about 225. I've found by then most of the heavy white smoke is gone but not completely.

I bury a couple under coals and put one right where I going dump the hot coals and another out on the outer edge . So I get a even smoke for the first half of a cook.
I read on here like a decade ago and seems to work

I've take charcoal management in the other direction --- I like to use the snake method for longer cooks just so that I can get an even consistent amount of smoke over a longer time.... I haven't used the minion method since my first 'newbie' cooks. I can get a solid 6-7+ hours of cook time with this method (on and 18") --- longer if gather the coals towards the end if needed - but I usually wrap and finish in the oven after ~7 hours in the smoke to conserve coals.

White smoke doesn't bother me too much --- it seems like I always get it no matter what and things turn out great. The problem is with TOO MUCH white smoke --- one or two small to medium chunks smoking at once is fine --- more than that is not - tends to soot up the meat and make it bitter. My MO is to keep throwing chunks on the coals whenever I stop seeing smoke.

Attachments

• 20210501_150334.jpg
    20210501_150334.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210501_151303.jpg
    20210501_151303.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210502_142240.jpg
    20210502_142240.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 21
I smoke (& grill) with locally made lump charcoal (mopani). There are always some pieces in there that are a bit underdone (sort of no longer wood, but not yet charcoal). So even without adding smoking wood, I get a smoky taste.
Can't use too much extra because of this (at least that's my theory)

I bury a couple under coals and put one right where I going dump the hot coals and another out on the outer edge . So I get a even smoke for the first half of a cook.
I read on here like a decade ago and seems to work
Hello Kevin. I do just about the same technique And learned it from here many years ago Also!! I feel by burying the wood heats it up before it gets lite and therefore the smoke is just right for smoking. So I think Lynn is onto something!! But with that said you also have to know and use the right amount of wood. I found by burying to many chunks of wood your food will be too smoky and taste nasty. That is where trial and error and experience comes into play! Knowing how to set up you vents, what type of wood to us with what meat and how much to use. Also I feel that only in the first couple of hours is when the meat absorbs the smoke flavor. But if too much wood lights up all at once in the first hour or so you meat will have that nasty taste. Thats while I think Lynn is onto something. The wood is heating up before it gets lite and I don’t think it will go up to fast to produce too much smoke all at once. And just like that we just got another idea from this GREAT WEBSITE!! Thank you!

Hello Kevin. I do just about the same technique And learned it from here many years ago Also!! I feel by burying the wood heats it up before it gets lite and therefore the smoke is just right for smoking. So I think Lynn is onto something!! But with that said you also have to know and use the right amount of wood. I found by burying to many chunks of wood your food will be too smoky and taste nasty. That is where trial and error and experience comes into play! Knowing how to set up you vents, what type of wood to us with what meat and how much to use. Also I feel that only in the first couple of hours is when the meat absorbs the smoke flavor. But if too much wood lights up all at once in the first hour or so you meat will have that nasty taste. Thats while I think Lynn is onto something. The wood is heating up before it gets lite and I don’t think it will go up to fast to produce too much smoke all at once. And just like that we just got another idea from this GREAT WEBSITE!! Thank you!
Vinny,
You are so correct a man needs to know the woods limitations, less and milder for chicken,turkey. And heavy for you thick meats brisket,chuck roast. And middle of the road for most pork and lamb.
I also beleive smoke is only absorbed during first 1/3 to 1/2 of the cook.
And this is a great web site full of knowledge and willing to share. No dumb questions only good answers. It all comes from experience and sharing, Chris built a grest site and we all came to stay.

Back