Pizza Pizza

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
SWMBO found a new Neapolitan Pizza Crust Recipe and we had 4 of the 5 the G-kids over last night so we had pizza. I did a few different pies but only had the opportunity to snap these couple photos of mine. It was a danger zone around the others.

In another post someone asked what I like burnt. My answer was Pizza and this is an example of the black spots I like.

Cheers!

Looks fantastic !

Temp and cook time ?

Were you happy with the crust ?

I was happy with the crust. Though I do prefer just a bit thinner. We can adjust from this try. She was shooting for the pizza we used to get in Northern Italy. Not far off.

Temp was probably 450 to 500*F. I place bricks wrapped in foil on the cooking grate and place the stone on them. I rotate the whole stone 90-120* every few minutes and quite frankly I was dealing with G-kids so have no idea how long each pie took. Maybe 10 min max a piece. I dunno.

Last edited:
pizza looks fantastic! This may be a dumb question but I notice that everyone who does pizza puts the bricks then the stone. Don't you want it to get as hot as you can like 600 700 degrees for pizza? Why use the bricks and move further from the heat?

Momma mia! That looks really good - the crust is always supposed to be a little blackened or burnt - that the way it done - perfecto!

pizza looks fantastic! This may be a dumb question but I notice that everyone who does pizza puts the bricks then the stone. Don't you want it to get as hot as you can like 600 700 degrees for pizza? Why use the bricks and move further from the heat?

The idea is to get it in the dome where there is more heat right before it escapes from the vent. I settled on this technique after many trial and error attempts at pizza on the grill.

Last edited:
The idea is to get it in the dome where there is more heat right before it escapes from the vent. I settled on this technique after many trial and error attempts at pizza on the grill.
I agree.
My best result comes from having the pie elevated about 3-1/2" off the grate using a veg basket for the spacer.
If I try to cook at grate level the bottom gets too much heat and the top not enough.

The Neapolitan pizza cooking method does use extremely high temps (700-800) and extremely short cook times.
Don't know if I want to run my kettle that hard.
Some charring is good if you're trying to emulate Neapolitan.

Back