Pizza headaches

We just started to think with a friend about how we could add such a heatshield to the PizzaQue kit - it should not be too difficult to make one from a stainless steel disc and bend its rim to make it fit on top of the pizza ring.. What do you think?

I have to fire mine yet,and then consider all the ideas here but, the "upper deck" heat reflector seems to have some merit. I have an idea but, I need to see more where the issue is before I dive in with "Wiley Coyote" suggestions. Give me time, I'm a charted member of the "Acme" design team!

dang, $100 though...

Something a couple of people have done is to wrap a grate in foil and put it on top of the KP to act as the heat deflector. Would that work on a PQ ?? If a grate itself wouldn't fit, could you just wrap a piece of foil across the top of the PQ ?

Something a couple of people have done is to wrap a grate in foil and put it on top of the KP to act as the heat deflector. Would that work on a PQ ?? If a grate itself wouldn't fit, could you just wrap a piece of foil across the top of the PQ ?

Don't use aluminum foil if you want high temps. High temps will burn your foil to a crisp and fall all over your pie. Speaking from experience right here. Sheet metal, non galvanized, works.

Don't use aluminum foil if you want high temps. High temps will burn your foil to a crisp and fall all over your pie. Speaking from experience right here. Sheet metal, non galvanized, works.

Thanks, did not know that about the foil.

Follow up on the replacement stones from Pizzaque, arrived today packed extremely well! I had not heard anything for a little longer than I'd expected. So, I called them Tuesday (about ten days in) and I had forgotten they were on the west coast so, I got their machine and left my number. Then, before 1:00 local time, I was on the phone with the SAME KIND WOMAN I HAD ORIGINALLY SPOKEN WITH! I found that surprising and not only did I get the same pleasant customer service person, she REMEMBERED ME! I tell you, in this day and age that is so rare, I will sing the praise of these people pretty loudly. She told me she was sorry for the delay but, they had not received their stock and I should receive the replacements by Friday. I'm impressed with Tanya's skill as a service agent! She is great! She deserves a raise!

Reviving an old, old thread with tonight's pies from the PizzaQue.

I find it really amusing to check back at my first attempts here at the start of this thread. Well, it's a "wax on, wax off" thing, I guess..

Timothy, how's your journey coming along with the Pizzaque?

Those pies look perfectly cooked. I have a kettle pizza and have no problem getting high temps but do have a difficult time getting the top of the pizza finished without having the bottom burnt to a crusty black. I really like the idea of adding a pan on top. Going to give it a try next time.

Kristof,
Life has gotten in the way a bit, I found an older 22 to install the unit on and just have been too busy to get dough made and it looks like it may be spring with the snowy half of the year heading in soon.
Health issues for my wife have put a hair in the pizza sauce so to speak but, I have everything pretty much ready to go when I get some dough made (or bought) but, it won’t be this weekend.

We just started to think with a friend about how we could add such a heatshield to the PizzaQue kit - it should not be too difficult to make one from a stainless steel disc and bend its rim to make it fit on top of the pizza ring.. What do you think?

Just thinking:
Could you get an old plough disk?
They are quite shallow. You would have to see if they fit proper, but they look about the right size.
We use them quite a bit to cook on instead of the "standard" skottle braai

DCloin, what worked for me was using parchment paper between the pie and the stone during the whole cook. That slows down cooking the bottom a bit, allowing more time to finish the top properly. Cooking time is still under 6 minutes this way, rotating it once at half-time.. Balance could still favor the top a weeny bit, but overall I'm satisfied with the results.

I still cannot get absolute perfection of top cheese slightly burnt and bottom not over cooked. Last night we made some killer BBQ pizza, I still finish the pizzas under the broiler for 5 minutes to get that perfect top to bottom ratio though.

You need a grill with a rear rotisserie burner. Either infrared or conventional. Here is some of my work with my Wolf. I use just enough heat from underneath to brown the bottom crust and keep the IR burner cranked. With a small wood chip packet it mimics very well the wood fired pizzas I enjoyed in Italy
UhVX5Ae.jpg

YxZCyZI.jpg

ZV5mm20.jpg

Kristof,

I read that also and have always cooked directly on the stone. I’ll try that too, seems like it would be easier to rotate and get in and out also.

How I set up my kettle. I use 2 chimneys of lump spread around the outside of the bowl. Preheat the stone in the oven at 550 for at least a half hour. Place my veggie basket on the grate and put the stone on that, this raises it about 4". I then use two old rotisserie skewers to hold the lid of the kettle above the bowl so I get a 1/4 inch gap all the way around for air flow and close the top vent so you create a convection effect in the kettle. The kettle runs between 600-700 degrees and I've done 4 medium size pizzas back to back before having to add more lump.

I use Rita's dough recipe and add rosemary, oregano and garlic to the dough.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?27232-Pizza-Dough-Pizza-Sauce

If you want to peek lift the lid straight up slowly to keep the heat trapped in it.

Last edited:

Back