Pickle Sticks

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Lately I have been brining chicken in pickle juice when I have finished all of the pickles. Usually I will brine then season with a salt free seasoning. This go around I decided to not season. These drumsticks turned out awesome.

WSM 14.5 High temp pit 350° KBB and apple. Approx 1 hour. Used PartyQ controller.

I make drumsticks a couple time a month for easy lunch options. I made these on Friday (mistake). They come 14 to a pack here. I just at the last two for lunch. Guess I need to make them on Sunday!

I have an idea I want to try next time. Its a bit off the wall so stay tuned.

49340280748_c57a96fbb8_c.jpg"

Got to give that a try. I remember a long time ago you posted about using pickle juice to brine and I thought that was a great idea. Now I just have to go and get a jar of pickles.

Case, how long are you marinating? A couple of few hours or overnight?

EDIT: brining, not marinating. sorry :cool:

Sticks look delicious. I've got my pickle juice saved up and will probably run with thighs as that's what I have right now in the freezer.

Case, how long are you marinating? A couple of few hours or overnight?

EDIT: brining, not marinating. sorry :cool:

This batch was 24 hours under vacuum. That's the longest I have gone. The shortest I have gone is 8 hours, again under vacuum.

Sticks look delicious. I've got my pickle juice saved up and will probably run with thighs as that's what I have right now in the freezer.

Cliff don't use all of the juice. I have found that for 1/2 cup is all that is needed for 14 drummies. I would assume that for 4-8 thighs the same would hold true.

I just wrote a big "M" in sharpie on our pickle jar so I remember to save it for "marinate." I have forgotten the last couple of times.

I just wrote a big "M" in sharpie on our pickle jar so I remember to save it for "marinate." I have forgotten the last couple of times.

My wife tried to throw out my jar. I moved it to the garage fridge!

Case, I’m trying this on a couple of thighs tonight and got to thinking that one could make “Martini Thighs” by marinating in olive juice and stuffing them with roasted red pepper and bleu cheese! I picked up a good deal on some thighs and might have to “test” the theory pretty soon.
Anyone tried that?
Stuff with something like “Muffuletta or Gardienera”
Maybe top with a slice of provolone?
I’m liking the concept and it keeps developing in my head.

Last edited:

Back