Picanha (Duane and Brett made me do it!)

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I couldn't resist pulling out a picanha from the freezer after seeing the meals that @DuaneMac and @Brett-EDH shared. This slab of meat came from my CostCo two-pack that I found the other day (it was labeled as a Sirloin Top cap, and came in a cryovac package.)

As is customary in Brazil, I just seasoned this nicely with salt after cutting it into thick pieces WITH the grain. Then, I spitted it up, and got the grill ready....

1655521224151.jpeg

I got the Summit Platinum running between 375-395, and after 25 minutes, I kicked on the IR burner. About 12 minutes later, these babies were temping as "done"!

1655521275070.jpeg

I let everything rest for about 10 minutes, then sliced it up AGAINST the grain.....

1655521305047.jpeg

Just a great, tasty, beefy platter of goodness (with a few more well done pieces to please the crowd.) I could have gone maybe 5 more minutes, but I definitely didn't want to go over at all. It's been a while since I cooked one of these, but it is as good a cut as I remember. Ok, meat coma setting in now......... :)

Rich

Those look great! The JD I did mine over really hit the spot for me. That seared and rendered fat cap. Oh man!

As Guga says, rib eye is the king of steaks and picanha is the queen. It’s an all beef flavor and the salt enhances it to perfection.

But what did you wash it down with? Caymus? Hewitt Rutherford?

Cheers to a great cook!

Those look great! The JD I did mine over really hit the spot for me. That seared and rendered fat cap. Oh man!

As Guga says, rib eye is the king of steaks and picanha is the queen. It’s an all beef flavor and the salt enhances it to perfection.

But what did you wash it down with? Caymus? Hewitt Rutherford?

Cheers to a great cook!
Just some water, Brett.....headed to the airport to pick up my better half. :)

I think I'll do the next one on the kettle rotisserie with some lump, just for comparison.... :)

R

Oh crap! Me and Barb are going to Costco Tuesday. Better get the bed made up in the back of the 4runner, if I see any Picanha it's mine.
This is after Barb just did an inventory of the freezers and told me we have 26 steaks in the freezers now from Rib eyes to New Yorks along with strips and numerous others.
She is going to have a meltdown hissy fit and turn into a PO mama bear.
Maybe if I show her these posts, she might not eat me alive.

Oh, great cook Rich, looks perfect.! (y)

Oh crap! Me and Barb are going to Costco Tuesday. Better get the bed made up in the back of the 4runner, if I see any Picanha it's mine.
This is after Barb just did an inventory of the freezers and told me we have 26 steaks in the freezers now from Rib eyes to New Yorks along with strips and numerous others.
She is going to have a meltdown hissy fit and turn into a PO mama bear.
Maybe if I show her these posts, she might not eat me alive.

Oh, great cook Rich, looks perfect.! (y)
To be fair, Rich, that is a lot of meat.
Barb, please send one freezer my way 😀🙄

Rich G!! Great job, man. Third-man-on-the-match situation...after seeing the first two picanhas, you took the bullet and laid it down, too.

You all are the worst ******* bunch of ****** enablers ever. Now I've gone and ordered picanha from Wild Fork. Nothing in my area has this cut.

My mom says I'm not allowed to play with you all anymore.😥☹️

Rich G!! Great job, man. Third-man-on-the-match situation...after seeing the first two picanhas, you took the bullet and laid it down, too.

You all are the worst ******* bunch of ****** enablers ever. Now I've gone and ordered picanha from Wild Fork. Nothing in my area has this cut.

Well, your mom's going to be really ticked when we all cook up an SRF Gold Wagyu brisket!!! 🤣🤣

Let me show you this car I bought…..

I’m hoping you can drive a manual…..

You mean can operate a security system for millenials?
My three millennials drive manuals. Before the world goes full stooopid, I figured they should enjoy a real car in their lifetime. And I went back to a manual after missing it for four years.

another picanha.. What the heck?... I don't think they sell that cut around, or maybe I haven't looked hard enough .....looks really good - !
You might find it labelled "Top Sirloin Cap".....if you can find it, you definitely want it with the fat cap on, not trimmed! Looks like this, kind of a triangle'ish shape:

1655739098576.png

Back