Picanha aka sirloin cap

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Picanha from Porter Road Butcher in Nashville. Cut into strips and trimmed fat to a consistent width. Did not skewer as they do in Brazil. Salted, refrigerated, seared over direct heat in the Weber Summit charcoal grill then finished indirect to 130°F internal.

Meat was soft, open grained, tender, lots of intramuscular fat. Delicious, best cut of meat I've had in who knows how long, and that's saying a lot. I'm not a beef fat eater, but trimming some and eating it with the lean tasted so good. I would never have believed a cut from the sirloin/rump could have been so full of flavor, moisture, and tenderness. I know I'm gushing, but I'm on a MEAT HIGH right now!

Meat provided by Porter Road Butcher for me to try, opinions are my own and not reviewed or approved by them. P.S. My wife agrees with my assessment!

3BxbYUM.jpg

xWOA24i.jpg

1ku8jrn.jpg

xv0WbOU.jpg

tFSY6kZ.jpg

ik1art8.jpg

Y1mjvXL.jpg

iw3bW1S.jpg

That looks wonderful. I would search for that cut, but I would never find it within a hundred miles of here.

Excellent, Chris!
I've been to the PR website before, and leave when I see the prices.
Check your local Costco for this cut, Prime grade, cut into steaks, no fat-cap, marked Beef Loin Top Sirloin Cap Steak.
I found these last week for $7.49/lb. So far I've only cooked one small piece as a kabob, and it was great.

48366039182_6fed0086dd.jpg

My GF is Brazilian, and they do indeed eat this cut in steaks, as well as skeered., but those look amazing Chris, thanks for sharing! Two question tho, how long in the fridge, and did you let them get to room temp before cooking?

And BTW, she says the larger steaks from the center, are the most flavorful ans sought after in Brazil.

Last edited:
Two question tho, how long in the fridge, and did you let them get to room temp before cooking?

Patted dry, sprinkled with kosher salt, in the fridge for two hours, then patted dry before grilling. I did not take the meat to room temp before grilling. They sat on the counter for maybe 30 minutes while I got the fire going. I generally don't have the patience for that, and I think the cold interior makes it easier to put a good sear on the outside while keeping the inside below my target temp.

By the way, bringing steaks to room temp is considered a myth by many. See Myth #1 in this authoritative article by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

You’re killin’ me Chris!
I must have spent an hour looking at the delights offered from Porter!
I might have to sell a kidney and buy a whole boatload of their goodies!

Back