Philly Cheese Steaks on the Weber griddle

Peter Gallagher

TVWBB Wizard
We got a Weber griddle earlier in the spring and haven't used it for anything other than breakfasts' - With the holiday weekend, I wanted to break that trend and decided to try some Philly Cheese Steaks. I saw a recipe on another BBQ forum site that looked intriguing, so I thought I'd give it shot. The recipe called for smoking rib eye steaks to just before rare - I did some ribs on the WSM on Saturday, so I tossed a couple of rib eyes in there and took them to 115 degrees:

53166476349_741d9700a5_c_d.jpg

Took them off and rested them - then wrapped them in plastic wrap - We were all ready to go then on Sunday - The recipe had a pretty interesting hack for slicing the steaks- It suggested freezing them and using a mandoline slicer - I do have a meat slicer, but it's a pain in the tush to clean, so with just the steaks, I thought I'd try the mandoline - It actually worked very well.... We were ready to go -

53165684697_0161a37f67_c_d.jpg

Cooked up some onions - then tossed the meat on - I didn't think it would take too long -

53166270896_c9c95b8c5c_c_d.jpg

This was after a couple of minutes - the recipe calls for shredding the meat with spatulas - it sort of made a big deal out it, but t was pretty easy to do with heavy spatulas.

53166476199_cc5ddc3331_c_d.jpg

The recipe called for making a cheese sauce - with cream and melting cheese into it. That sounds good as a dip to me, but for a sammy, it sounded a bit gross - so I diverted and went with a slice of provolone and a slice of sharp cheddar. Apologies to any hardcore Philly folks if I broke some sacred something in doing so...

53166475814_165f0680d0_c_d.jpg

Stuck them under the dome for a couple of minutes and got these:

53166271151_d9417541c1_c_d.jpg

They were pretty good! I'm not sure if you really need to use rib eye for these? - maybe something like a smoked tri tip, but they turned out well!

Looks great! I'm a beginner on my griddle, so this was enlightening on the simplicity. Got to figure the slicer part better!

Pichanha works well and is less expensive. I’ve done Philly’s with it in a CI and they came out great.

Yours look great. Break the rules. You’re not in or from Philly.

Now if that griddle came in NG…..

Pichanha works well and is less expensive. I’ve done Philly’s with it in a CI and they came out great.

Yours look great. Break the rules. You’re not in or from Philly.

Now if that griddle came in NG…..

yeah, it was fun so I'll probably mess around with other cuts-

I'm surprised there's no conversion kit for that thing.. Maybe at some point?... For us out in the sticks, propane is the only game in town - We do have the Genesis plumbed, just not sure if I want the griddle out all the time - probably the amount of use won't justify it.

I bought a slicer around 20 years ago, around $250, not a huge investment, the rewards it can provide are endless, both at home or for your guests. It's a small trade-off in the world we live. Open your wallet, you won't be disappointed....

Back