Pernil a la Preston B

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
@Preston B, posted his version of Pernil from New Year's, and it looked so good I bookmarked it to cook "soon". This three day weekend turned out to be the time to get it done. I had a couple of coppa/money muscles in the freezer, so, since there are just three of us home, they fit the bill for a weekend dinner with some leftovers for sandwiches. The meat weighed in at 4 lbs, so I adjusted the amounts of the marinade that Preston shared, and got those marinating last night. I was running a bit late today, so I didn't get the meat on the grill until just before 4p, which had me worried since I was estimating 4 hours to get it done. As it happens, luck was with me, and running at 300F, I hit my 180F target temp in three hours (with a 10 minute blast at 450F to finish.)

Man am I glad I cooked this one! The marinade really added fantastic flavors to the pork, which was juicy, tender and porky! Everyone at the table really enjoyed this as a different way to cook some pork butt, and we will definitely do it again. Thanks for sharing that cook, Preston!

Out of the marinade, and into the fire:

1611027550240.jpeg

At the end of the heat blast:

1611027571237.jpeg

Resting:

1611027586459.jpeg

Sliced up and ready to eat:

1611027600372.jpeg

My wife made some roasted asparagus to go with it, and we re-heated some leftover rice. What a great meal!

Rich

Money muscle look fabulous, I’m sure leftovers will make great sandwiches.

My wife makes roasted asparagus and drizzles them with olive oil, S&P and bakes them at 425F. The spear ends are crispy and almost burnt. When removed from the oven she will give them a light dusting of fresh grated parm. Dang tasty

Thanks, RJ! I'm looking forward to my lunches this week! :)

Very similar asparagus preparation here, though my wife includes some sesame oil and sesame seeds for a bit of an Asian inspired twist. So, I guess our dinner was Peruvian/Asian fusion? ;)

R

Looks outstanding Rich. Love the color and your 10 minute blast at 450 crisped things up perfectly. I've got a 4# butt in the freezer I had targeted for some carnitas but that may change.

Rich,
That looks so good! So you guys think a half pork shoulder would work for this recipe? I see that is what Preston used (he used a while one).

Rich,
That looks so good! So you guys think a half pork shoulder would work for this recipe? I see that is what Preston used (he used a while one).
Totally, Michael. I had two ~2lb pieces, so you can adjust this however you like. Now, my money muscles didn't have any of the fat cap, which, honestly is one of the most beautiful things in most of the Pernil cooks that get posted......but, there's plenty of intramuscular fat to keep things very nice and juicy/flavorful.

Just adjust the amount of marinade that you need, and don't make the mistake that I did of putting the citrus in the marinade with the meat overnight (it's supposed to be added right before cooking.....oops!) Worked out fine, but the end pieces, especially, were a bit tart! :)

R

Back