Performer charcoal bin useful?

Mack Manning

TVWBB Super Fan
I scored a free Performer with gas assist today. If I find it can take the place of my Summit Charcoal, I'll sell that and save some space.

Cart is in great condition, bowl and lid are a little rough so I'll probably swap with my basic kettle.

The charcoal bin is melted and mangled at the top to halfway down the side facing the bowl.

Is it worth replacing the bin? I see they're $40 online, haven't asked Weber yet. Or, just throw a 5 gallon bucket under there and call it a day?

I scored a free Performer with gas assist today. If I find it can take the place of my Summit Charcoal, I'll sell that and save some space.

Cart is in great condition, bowl and lid are a little rough so I'll probably swap with my basic kettle.

The charcoal bin is melted and mangled at the top to halfway down the side facing the bowl.

Is it worth replacing the bin? I see they're $40 online, haven't asked Weber yet. Or, just throw a 5 gallon bucket under there and call it a day?
Mine when bought used was a bit melted also nothing major cleaned the performer up never put it back in. Some have put in a plastic bag for trash but I never got putting charcoal or wood chunks in it. I live in ATL pretty humid sometimes I have always stored my charcoal and wood chunks in my walk out basement have an area that is a shop so not in the finished space. I would not pay 40 bucks for a new one.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll keep it for the charcoal baskets, vortex and chimney. From the outside, the bin looks much neater than having all that stuff piled under the S6. I actually didn't notice it was melted until I pulled it out to clean.

I'm in soupy NC and get a lot of severe storms, so I keep my charcoal and wood in the garage.

Mine has been in some severe weather, and the charcoal is always dry. Not exactly sure how, but it works very well.

I use mine for charcoal and wouldn't be without it.
Wow, forty bucks? That has to be one of the cheapest items Weber sells.

Selling the S6?

I love the bin I have some SNS water holders and charcoal baskets in there.

I find it useful for storing charcoal, but I live in a drier climate. I think that spending $40.00 to complete a free Performer is well worth it. You might find it more useful than you might expect.

I'm late to the party on this one, but I use my charcoal bin for charcoal, and stuff to light it with (lighter cubes, newspaper). I live in Utah, so the humidity is not really an issue.

Even over the winter I haven't had any issues with damp charcoal in the bin. I just keep it in the bag, top rolled down.

For the life of me, I don't know why the Kamado didn't do a similar charcoal storage solution like the Performer has. That is the only thing I find superior on the Performer over the Kamado with table.

Selling the S6?

I love the bin I have some SNS water holders and charcoal baskets in there.
I don't have space for the Performer and the S6 long term, so one must go and I thought I might free up some cash by selling the S6 and keep the Performer because more accessories fit nicely. But, I really like the hinged lid on the S6. I cringe every time I put the Performer lid into the scratchy bail.

Back