Pepper grinder ?

I'll add another vote for the OXO. I replaced an old wooden mill with one and like that it is able to flip over with the business end up.
I also have the battery operated ( Kalorik) ones for S&P. I like the one handed use when prepping and flipping steaks, chops, etc.
They also have a little light on the bottom. I first thought it would be pretty useless, but it comes in handy at times.

Tim

A lot of rub recipes call for freshly ground pepper. What is a good grinder other than those made to set on the table ?
The Cole & Mason is by far the best pepper grinder I've ever used. And I've had a bunch. It is a conventional grinder, but you can grind a lot of pepper with it fairly quickly. LINK

The Cole & Mason is by far the best pepper grinder I've ever used. And I've had a bunch. It is a conventional grinder, but you can grind a lot of pepper with it fairly quickly. LINK

I second this! Got the set on sale a while back. Love the salt grinder for steaks makes you feel extra fancy 😅. Pepper grinder comes with multiple grind sizes good for different recipes.

I swear by my Fletcher's Mill grinder...love it. But my best grinder for anything more than about 1tsp is easily my mortar and pestle.

Hey, guys.....when I was doing my sausage-palooza a couple of weekends ago, I attached my drill to my Atlas grinder, and it worked like a charm! My drill has a variable speed trigger, so it was easy to grind at a speed that didn't seem like it would harm the drill, and I got my 30g of fresh ground pepper WAY faster than hand cranking! Probably voided the warranty......if there was one! :ROFLMAO:

Hey, guys.....when I was doing my sausage-palooza a couple of weekends ago, I attached my drill to my Atlas grinder, and it worked like a charm! My drill has a variable speed trigger, so it was easy to grind at a speed that didn't seem like it would harm the drill, and I got my 30g of fresh ground pepper WAY faster than hand cranking! Probably voided the warranty......if there was one! :ROFLMAO:

Necessity is the mother of invention. Nice!

I suppose I could have chimed in with what I do have as a pepper grinder...... I use a 9" Chrome Atlas Pepper Mill. They seem to run $70, though I know I didn't pay that (15 years ago.) I'm certain it will outlast me (and I'm pretty sure attaching a drill to it would be easy.) :)

R
Rich, I have a Peugot but am thinking about getting and Atlas. I like the idea of a hand crank. Thoughts on it vs the standard pepper mill?

Rich, I have a Peugot but am thinking about getting and Atlas. I like the idea of a hand crank. Thoughts on it vs the standard pepper mill?
I honestly think it's just an aesthetic thing. They both grind pepper well, and are adjustable, will probably last a long time. So, which one do you like the looks of better? If you are weird like me and might attach a drill to it, the Atlas might be easier for that. ;)

I'd say don't over think it. It's a pepper grinder. I personally haven't wanted an electric one, as I figure it's just something that could break on something that should be pretty simple and reliable. Others will feel differently, I'm sure! :)

R

IIRC, the Atlas pepper mill with a crank developed a cult following back in the day when it was used and endorsed by the PBS TV chef The Frugal Gourmet. Made in Greece and designed as a turkish coffee grinder.

For me, the key thing is the crank. Since it really "cranks" out the pepper. I used to have a fancy crank model (not an Atlas) that got lost in a move. The $12 plastic Oxo crank is my current weapon of choice.

Back