pastrami questions

Scott M.

TVWBB Fan
I am thinking of trying my hand at pastrami this spring. I am guessing corned beef drops in price after the 17th. Does it freeze well for later use? Does anyone have any tips/experience to share?
I wasn't sure if this should be "barbecue," or "charcutterie" question...

Corned beef is usually cheap immediately (one to 7 days) after SPD. But I find better tasting results starting with fresh beef if you can track down some morton tender quick or some pink curing salt to make your own pastrami.

I have done the "quick pastrami" using a corned beef flat from the supermarket. The results are quite good. I try to look for a nice "brick" of corned beef flat that will slice nicely. Just throw away the spice pack that comes with the packaged corned beef and soak it in water for a day or more (change the water every so often). It will be too salty if you don't. I've just used cracked pepper and coriander as a rub and then smoked it until tender (4-6 hours if memory serves me). Get some good coleslaw, russian dressing, swiss cheese and, of course, some real jewish rye and you'll think you're at 57 and 7th.

Thank you!
Quick follow up questions:
At what temps do you smoke, and at what temp do you start probing for tenderness? [Please forgive me for this one] I saw that Katz' boils it after smoking.... your thoughts?

Brisket likes it low and slow, so try 225-250. I usually start to probe between 185-190. Sometimes it's not tender until 205-ish, but it will be in that range. If you do two "bricks" of corned beef, you will have plenty for a family with seconds and leftovers.

You can reheat it in a sauce pan with a little beef broth or lightly fry it on a griddle with some oil. Or just slice it like a cold cut.

Man, a boatload of advice! I knew I could count on you all. I guess I'll be doing a little hoarding after SPD. Those pics in the threads look amazing. I can't wait to try this now. Thank you for all of the tips.

I am going to take a shot at Chris' 2005 recipe for dry-cured pastrami. Anyone done this recently? The directions are very straightforward, and I am just looking for pointers and look-out-for's.

Had to order the Morton tender quick from the interwebz so it will be a week or two (weather dependent) before I get to this.

Back