Pastrami from SRF wagyu corned beef ???

We had already eaten dinner and I was full.

This needed to rest until 7.45pm and I wasn't going to wait that long for a sammie but I wanted a taste test while it was still warm.
Funny, mine was ready for the taste test after dinner. Yours looks great.

Overall review and critique:

The good:
- good smoke flavor
- not fatty
- good seasoning and spice on the "crust"
- not too salty

Opportunity to improve:
- not as tender as I would like it
- I would like more fat along with the meat
- slicing by hand yields inconsistent cuts

Will I do it again?
Yes, because I have one more in the freezer.

Will I buy more this upcoming St. Patricks day ?
I'm not sure. I want to make pastrami from brisket first and compare the results. It sure was easy to just de-brine this, but the cost is about double compared to brisket.

A final note on the sammies. Rye and Swiss wins the day. I didn't want to make a special trip so I went with sourdough and cheddar. It was good, but not in the same league as Rye and Swiss.

Overall review and critique:

The good:
- good smoke flavor
- not fatty
- good seasoning and spice on the "crust"
- not too salty

Opportunity to improve:
- not as tender as I would like it
- I would like more fat along with the meat
- slicing by hand yields inconsistent cuts

Will I do it again?
Yes, because I have one more in the freezer.

Will I buy more this upcoming St. Patricks day ?
I'm not sure. I want to make pastrami from brisket first and compare the results. It sure was easy to just de-brine this, but the cost is about double compared to brisket.

A final note on the sammies. Rye and Swiss wins the day. I didn't want to make a special trip so I went with sourdough and cheddar. It was good, but not in the same league as Rye and Swiss.
That round is never tender. I’d recco just do a flat or mid section. I stopped buying rounds many years ago. Heck, maybe a rump roast would be a better pastrami.

At $3.99# for Choice brisket at Costco, you could separate the packer, and get a few good meals from it. Pastrami, a mid section brisket (point and flat combo piece), and some ground beef for burgers. Or burnt ends, but I think that’s a disservice to a point cut. The point is money in my home. People fight over it.

Heck, with winter coming upon us, even a smoked brisket point or flat chili would work. Or shredded brisket sandos.

Your cook looks spectacular. Now with your new slicer I’ll beg you to come over with it for slicing up some brisket sandos or smoked turkey breast sandos.

If that's all it takes for an invite I would have bought a slicer a long time ago :D
I’ve been so slammed. Business has been insane this year. Way beyond expectations. And then we decided to build a house and downsize.

I’ll text you. We’ll do a Niners game and food.

That slicer you’re getting is sweet. I’m glad you got it. My wife would have killed me if I bought it. So I’m happy and jelly at that same time.

Last edited:
I sliced this up today to freeze. I sliced by hand on a steep angle and tried for very thin but not shaved.

As the slicing moved along, there was more and more fat in the marbling than the first cuts. I other words more fat on the left.

20231022_105914.jpg

20231022_111751.jpg

The slices had varying amounts of fat so I mixed it up and portioned out 6 Oz servings.

20231022_115603.jpg

There was 5 oz left and it's sammie time. I reheated the pastrami in the microwave adding a teaspoon of water and covering it. About 2 mins at 30 % and then 30 seconds at 40 %

Sourdough, mustard, meat, and some mozzarella in the toaster oven on broil. Some deli peppers on top.

20231022_121954.jpg
20231022_122107.jpg

I sliced this as thin as I could and the thinner slices and the fattier cuts was more tender than the first Sammie above.

Back