Packer Brisket on 18.5 WSM

Tommy B

TVWBB Pro
New WSM owner here, can you fit a whole packer brisket in the 18.5'' cooker? I can picture my wife's face if I pulled out a tape measure at the grocery store! Thoughts? Cut it in two? Pick shortest one?

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
12-14 lb is about the biggest. Bigger, it can be bent up between the handles to form a 'roof'. After a few hours smoking, it will start shrinking and you can adjust it to be flatter.

ChuckO

TVWBB Olympian
Somebody here had one too big to fit and he put something under it making a rise in the center, thus shorting up the brisket so it would fit

Dave R

TVWBB Fan
I just cooked a brisket on my 18.5". It was a little long so I used the handles on the top rack as 'book ends' to hold the brisket. During the cook, it did shrink some and easily fit on the grate.

Dave

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
I think the best idea I've seen yet is to lay it on top of a cheese grater with the ends wedged inside the grate handles. You can use some fat trimmings there to help protect the end of the flat.

Paul Pearson

TVWBB Fan
I have cooked two 12lb briskets in my 18.5 (separate occasions) on the top rack and used the grate handles to shoehorn it in. I wouldn't go much larger than that unless you don't mind putting something under the center like others have mentioned.

Mike Drewery

TVWBB Super Fan
I do packers at 16 pounds untrimmed routinely, I just roll the end of the flat under some until it shrinks up

Here was a 17
IMG_0645.JPG

Last edited:

Tommy B

TVWBB Pro
Well I have not cooked a brisket yet but cooked a 5 lb slab of pork ribs over the weekend. I assumed ribs wouldn't fit either. I was wrong! They barely fit and cooked nicely! I am excited to get a brisket on!

If you wanna see more pictures of the final product I posted in another thread you can go to by clicking HERE.

Gary S

TVWBB Guru
I used a stainless steal drinking mug under one for the first two hours. After that I was able to remove it as the meat had shrunk enough it was no longer necessary. It does not hurt to place a little foil under the ends where the brisket is shoehorned into the grate handles.