Out of hiding - Ribeye

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Not sure why, but just haven't been grilling lately. For some unknown reason, today the urge hit me to light up some charcoal, maybe because I had thawed out a big ribeye that I carved off the Christmas roast. I was still feeling a bit on the lazy side, so I dropped my "steak" (roast?) into a sous vide bath at 130 degrees for about 3 hours. After seasoning with salt and DP Red Eye Express, I seared it about 90 seconds per side on my pre-heated cast iron grate insert that I had dropped on top of a nice, hot chimney of Kingsford. After its trip through the heat, I had this:

25344970557_2b25d401e6_z.jpg

Then this.....

39318060895_8a68848110_z.jpg

.....and, finally this.....

26343403808_ed447b1a38_z.jpg

This cook was less about using the sous vide to get things nice and tender, and more about being able to toss it into its bath, and finish it off when I was ready. The steak was incredibly tender (as I recall from the Xmas meal, it was a nice hunk of meat), and pretty much melted in my mouth. My daughter and I polished most of it off, and very much enjoyed the Sunday night treat. It might be too rare for some, but we both thought it was perfect!

.....oh, and had a bit of bread, too (Sourdough, 5% whole wheat, 5% rye).....

39824270291_e9e7b2aec1_k.jpg

39835489212_b5090905ac_k.jpg

Thanks for checking this cook out. Keep posting all of yours, they continually keep me inspired!!

R

Good to see you back on the grill Rich. Killer crust on that Rib eye, looks amazing!

That looks absolutely spectacular, Rich. I love the Red Eye Express rub.

I was wondering where you went. That bread looks marvelous Rich. Perfect crumb and the crust is gorgeous. Oh yeah, that ribeye makes me want dinner and it's only 9:15.

Back