Opening bags of charcoal? Help Please

D Wiess

TVWBB Member
This is a trivial question but I would still like to know - how do you open the charcoal bag by pulling a string? How do you know which one to pull so the bag opens perfectly? It is hit and miss for me. I remember seeing farmers open feed bags like this years ago and it was effortless.

The new Kingsford bags use tape now, no string. You just pull up on one end. String bags I used to just slice open with a razor knife, I got tired of the hassle.

I end up whipping out one of my huge grilling spatulas that has a serrated edge and sawing the edge of the bag while yelling like a cavewoman. I can never figure out the string; makes me feel dumb so I just have at it.

If you find the answer, I'd love to know too. Although my way is pretty fun and entertains the neighbors.

Laura

I gave up with the string on a bag of Royal Oak last week, so I just started to tear the top off. The tear worked its way up into the string and away it went. It just zipped right open.

I don't know if this helps, but I'll try it again next time.

Laura, funny with the cavewoman scream, I reserve the caveman scream for those plastic packages that can only be opened with Dr. Evil's Death Laser. Charcoal bags usually just get a lot of creative cursing out of the people who design them and obviously don't use them. Like the bright minded Ford engineer who designed the steering wheel height adjustment knob in just the right place to hit you in the kneecap as you get into the seat. Every Mustang owner I have talked to would like to get him into a dark alley.

When I need to open a new bag of charcoal, I make sure to grab my Leatherman on the way to get the charcoal bag. Open the knife blade, make a few cuts, and, presto, it's ready to pour in a container.

I always feel smug when I can zip a bag right open, and dumb when I yank and yank, and curse when I can't.

Maybe this will help us all.

Originally posted by Bob Correll:
I always feel smug when I can zip a bag right open, and dumb when I yank and yank, and curse when I can't.

Maybe this will help us all.

icon_smile.gif
icon_cool.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks, Bob! I've always wondered why it's only sometimes that I can unravel it in a few seconds.
icon_confused.gif

There is somthing very satisfying about getting the string to pull cleanly. Thanks for the "how to". I'll try that next time.

You need finesse. Brute force doesn't work. A few pinch and pulls at the knot at the end will usually get it to undo and then you just pull the loose end.

Originally posted by Bob Sample:
You need finesse. Brute force doesn't work. A few pinch and pulls at the knot at the end will usually get it to undo and then you just pull the loose end.

I hear ya, Bob. But I guess I haven't always been holdin' my mouth right.
icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by Jim McKelvey:
D
I don't know the answer, but I love your sig. Bruuuuuuce!

Will be seeing him in NJ in September, maybe he will play this again!
icon_wink.gif

Bob: thanks for the link, I will sleep good tonight! Would they mind if I practiced on a few bags at Walmart?

I always use some heavy duty shears (scissors). I only cut off one corner of the bag (maybe a third) as it makes it easier to pour out in the chimney that way.

Tim

My wife can zip it (the charcoal bag) open each and every time with no effort, whenever I ask her. Needless to say, I prefer to struggle with it on my own and away from her vision.

I have opened a million feed sacks and various brands of charcoal, but I have never successfully opened a bag of Stubb's charcoal without getting out a knife or scissors.

Back