One Hot Sauce To Rule Them All?

Sambal ulek (oelek)
And you can use it to make any other sambal.
Its just raw chili's with salt.
From there, you can go on to sambal manis, sambal badjak, sambal bawang, sambal goreng...
I got a fridge full of hot sauces)pastes. Even if i would never harvest a chili again, I'll have enough to last a lifetime :ROFLMAO:

I cannot stand Frank’s. Why folks seem to love it is beyond me.

I’m a Tabasco fan. Also Marie Caries. I don’t think I could live with only three, I’ve got a collection that is extensive. There’s always a flavor for various foods.

Also like Cholula as a good all-around general use sauce.

I just purchased a bottle of valentina salsa picante extra hot sauce & really enjoying it not to mention the price. An old stand by for me is anything by el yucateco hot sauce, especially their hot chile habanero!

Store bought?
All iterations of Tabasco except the Garlic. For whatever reason, I don't care for it.
Frank's for wings. Cholula for Mexican & Sriracha for kicking up eggs and sauces.
My favorite is homemade, with a recipe that I found in the local newspaper years ago. I tweak it a little bit. The heat & flavors change, based on the types of peppers used. It's insanely easy to make and I use it in everything. My friends love it.

Store bought?
All iterations of Tabasco except the Garlic. For whatever reason, I don't care for it.
Frank's for wings. Cholula for Mexican & Sriracha for kicking up eggs and sauces.
My favorite is homemade, with a recipe that I found in the local newspaper years ago. I tweak it a little bit. The heat & flavors change, based on the types of peppers used. It's insanely easy to make and I use it in everything. My friends love it.

Rick - thanks for sharing! I am going to try this at some point.

Cholula is far and away my favorite. I first came across it in a seaside bar in Long Beach where they served $1 chicken soft tacos and had Cholula on the table. The Cholula made those tacos something special. It's one of the few sauces I've had that has good flavor on its own. I can practically drink the stuff.

I'm not a fan of Tabasco. I don't have a problem with the heat, it's the flavor. It's so pronounced just a drop or two and it becomes the predominant flavor in whatever you add it to. No thanks.

I'm going to have to try the cast iron tomatillo salsa. I just recently found out tomatillos are apparently available in cans. That could be a game changer for me. Makes it possible to have tomatillos around all the time and not have to plan for every use. If I had to buy fresh tomatoes every time I made pasta sauce we'd eat a lot less pasta. Tomatillos have been much the same.

Cholula is far and away my favorite. I first came across it in a seaside bar in Long Beach where they served $1 chicken soft tacos and had Cholula on the table. The Cholula made those tacos something special. It's one of the few sauces I've had that has good flavor on its own. I can practically drink the stuff.

I'm not a fan of Tabasco. I don't have a problem with the heat, it's the flavor. It's so pronounced just a drop or two and it becomes the predominant flavor in whatever you add it to. No thanks.

I'm going to have to try the cast iron tomatillo salsa. I just recently found out tomatillos are apparently available in cans. That could be a game changer for me. Makes it possible to have tomatillos around all the time and not have to plan for every use. If I had to buy fresh tomatoes every time I made pasta sauce we'd eat a lot less pasta. Tomatillos have been much the same.
I splash it on tortilla chips right before dunking in salsa

This one makes a good marinade (imho)

sIAANb4.jpg
Just put some breast and thigh chunks and a bottle of this in the fridge. Going to let it go all night this time. Love it!!

0055BA79-5FD2-40B6-80AE-9B8721902F44.jpegTabasco is my favorite on most any type of food. I love Crystal as well, our fridge is stocked with em all, tapatio chalula both Valentino sauces. I love hot sauce!! I’ve become a huge fan of chili garlic sauce as well. Amazing in soups and pasta.

I’m a Tabasco fan. Also Marie Caries. I don’t think I could live with only three, I’ve got a collection that is extensive. There’s always a flavor for various foods.

I think I like Frank's advertising the best "I put that sh*t on everything" is a catchy, easy to remember and relatable.

Bridget likes Frank's the best, hated Cholula, for whatever that's worth.
Correction, that's Julia.

Last edited:

Yeah...I'm with you on the Frank's, except when I make Buffalo style sauce for wings. When mixed with melted butter, garlic powder and a splash of vinegar, it's excellent. It has a distinctive flavor for wings that just isn't there with the other sauces that I've tried. Of course, after I shaked the Missus wings in it, I splash some Tabasco habanero sauce in the bowl,.before I coat my wings...

Bridget likes Frank's the best, hated Cholula, for whatever that's worth.

Worth nothing. Who is Bridget? And anyone that hates Cholula and loves Franks probably thinks chocolate sauce is hot...really spicing up that vanilla ice cream!🤣

And not meant to be harsh towards you Bob haha. Just ribbing the gal

Just put some breast and thigh chunks and a bottle of this in the fridge. Going to let it go all night this time. Love it!!
I was really happy with ours. I probably went 15 hours marinade. Next time I do it, I'll even go longer

There's a Peri Peri chicken recipe in Steven Raichlen's BBQ Bible that I tried several years ago. It was good but not really worth the effort. I might try this sauce next time I head over to TJ's.... looks really interesting.
Try this one, totally simple and dang good

Back