OK, so what do you do with 1,000 degrees ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
Tom Horsman reviews the new version of the Reqtec Bullseye. He tests it to get 1,000 degrees and it gets between 910 and 950, which is close enough.

But what do you do with it ? Pizza ? I don't think I'd want to sear a steak, but I've heard that steak houses use those kinds of temps. I would also be wary of a grease fire at those temps .

very high temps like that are best for searing proteins. steak, yes. setting a sear or building char, yes. a fast seared burger, sure.

grease fire? maybe if you're doing lamb and you leave it on direct too long. i've had lamb grease incidents and have learned that you don't leave rack of lamb or lamb ribs on direct heat for too long.

salmon and tuna steaks also do well with a quick sear.

as for prolonged cooking at those temps? maybe a Neapolitan pizza only.

i often look at the product marketing pics to see who the product is marketed to. so here's this B380x:

1670617179481.png

1670617207248.png

you don't like singed eyebrows?
I used to volunteer cook for our youngest Sons youth tackle games.
They had a outdoor grill charcoal fired that held 4 bags of coal. ( 3' x 5' )That would get serious heat when you opened the lid.
I served up some " arm" more then a few times.

I've seared sous vide steaks on a grill rack set on top of my charcoal chimney. My IR thermometer went off scale near the top, 1,000 F or more. Put a nice sear on them in about a minute.

I am actually pretty impressed with how Recteq upped the game with a greatly improved pellet kettle. I don’t see any need to grill at 1,000 degrees, and personally I don’t find Tom’s experiment with searing (scorching?) steak on the cast iron deflector appealing. However, it looks to me like this pellet grill CAN deliver true high heat grilling and yet also do low and slow bbq.

C’mon Weber, we want a WEBER pellet kettle!

I suppose that’s a little true. I like using my Weber kettles and my Weber CharQ (now have two of those and way too many kettles). Still, I find it easier to cook on my odd Landmann pellet kettle and go to that first when in a hurry or out of time to monitor real fire. Sadly, that’s most of the time.

To me this new Recteq legitimately offers the performance of a charcoal kettle (high heat and low and slow) with the ease of use of a gas grill. I think that’s a pretty strong positive. Admittedly, it is steeply priced, but it looks to have solid build and is stylish to boot. It’s the target that Weber needs to take aim at with a WEBER Pellet Kettle😎!

Back