OK I have a 4th of July weekend dilemma "what to cook"

What's the hesitation on the Brisket as you are not smoking it on a WSM or Weber Kettle?? Your set-it-and-forget-it cooker should produce one-hell of a smoked Brisket.

Last edited:
Chuck, absolutely welcome to drive the Kubota. Especially if the lawn needs being done :D
Richard, I have only ever done flats (which some say are the hardest), and those in the Genesis, and the Wolf. And once in the Member's Mark. The 2 flats I tried in the gassers failed miserably. The one I did in the MM was not miserable but because I was unsure of timings and what have you turned out a bit "rubbery". Though it tasted fantastic.
I plan on not over trimming. I am also planning on rendering the trimmings as well to add tot he wrapped brisket. Figuring on a 4 hr minimum rest in the cooler as well. Which was another thing I did not do when I had done flats in the past. So yes there will be photos good or bad.

I've done a couple of briskets on the Camp Chef and to be honest it was almost boring. No drama like the WSM in the wind and altitude, the CC just cruised along no issues. I'd do more of them, but we end up with so many leftovers we are using it up for months.

Larry, you will be fine.
What he said. Don't overthink it.

My methodology for a packer:
Trim.
Season, and rest it for 12-24 hours in the fridge.
Smoke at 225
Start probing for tenderness when the point hits 195.
When both point & flat start to probe tender, pull it, wrap it, and leave it in a hot box for at least a couple of hours. 4 hours is better, I've gone over 6 without issue. Don't open the hot box for any reason, and don't be afraid to smack knuckles.

I do have to admit to starting to split the point & the flat before seasoning, and pulling them out of the smoker independently. I've also got the real estate and the instrumentation to be able to easily do this, YMMV.

I've said it before, here it is again: my personal belief is that the long rest after probing tender is one if the very most important parts. If you try to slice & serve immediately, it ends up dry and chewier than I like. I plan to have it up to temp well before service and that leaves me quite a lot of time to finish up sides (like smoking mac & cheese, etc.,) make salads, drink beer and such.

Make hot dogs and hamburgers. Just kidding, make the brisket. The holiday is a great time to try it. The pellet grill is doing most of the work. :cool:

Brisket really isn’t difficult. People make it out to be some super hard, difficult cook and hard to nail and get right.

I say utter baloney!

Season it. A LOT. Brisket likes it thick and heavy. Fat cap down. Let it roll to stall and spritz every hour and a half up to stall. Wrap, a little bit of your spritz in the wrap, and finish. Let it sit in a cooler still wrapped for at least two hours and you’re golden.

Fat cap down? That seems weird. I would think you would want it up to melt over the meat
Nah, that’s a total myth (cue the naysayers…🤣). Fat cap down insulates the meat from direct heat. And the cap never renders down totally.

Nah, that’s a total myth (cue the naysayers…🤣). Fat cap down insulates the meat from direct heat. And the cap never renders down totally.
Fat cap up if you’re running a water pan. Even if you’re running a WSK dry. At 250-275° you ain’t drying out any brisket.

There is another whole thread about up or down with fat cap.
I’ve always done down but, I might try one “up” just to see for myself. Brett has not done one cook yet that has not shown practice and care. I try his advice, why not!?

Back