OK I have a 4th of July weekend dilemma "what to cook"

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
We're having a big cookout on the 3rd and 4th. Most of the folks on the 3rd. My original plan is to get a whole brisket (hopefully a Prime) at Costco. But, given I have never done one, it's sort of a sink/swim proposal for me. My plan is to start it day before. Also gonna do 2 or 3 racks of St Louis ribs, dogs and such.
But given brisket is still a great unknown for me (having only attempted a flat with pretty poor results), I am considering another cut of beef but don't want to break the bank. Been looking for tri tips none to be found. Considering plate short ribs. But wondering what other type of whole hunk of bovine flesh can I stick in the smoker and do up to some nice BBQ that may be a little easier and less "risky"? Though my heart would REALLY love to turn out a nice brisket

Do reverse seared smoked bone in thick cut prime ribeye steaks. Smoke them at 225 and get them about 10 degrees below what you want for final internal temp then throw em on a hot grill to put a nice sear and get them to your final temp. It doesn't take long to smoke 30 to 45 min or so depending on how thick of a cut you get so make sure your grill is ready.

You can also smoke the hotdogs I always use all beef and slice them so you get smoke flavor inside. Another option is make pork belly burnt ends. They're like bbq candy and hard to mess up. The prep is the most time consuming part of it all.

FWIW, I was at Costco today and no Prime brisket. Choice was $3.99/lb for full packers. Highest I've seen in a while. I did grab a 40lb bag of pellets to try though.

But I'm thinking like you. I haven't really done a brisket I've liked. However, I want to try again now that I have this pellet pooper.

Last edited:
"Come on, Larry; do the brisket."

Someone else write the next line :ROFLMAO:

If you don't do a brisket then we're gonna have to break a bone and force you to do another chuck roast.

Go for the brisket! If you're worried about it, do a practice one this weekend and have leftovers all week. :)

Like Brett said, it's not too hard. I did a few other things on my pellet grill before I attempted a brisket, and it turned out really well. It looks like you are very familiar with how your MM functions so you are good to go.

The one thing that stresses out a lot of people is timing the brisket to be done at the same time as the rest of the meal. Remember that it can rest between 2-8 hours wrapped up in a cooler after it is done cooking and it will still be great. It gives you a lot of flexibility.

You already know how to cook it, just go for it. I think at least a 2 hour rest (minimum) in the cooler is they key to a juicy brisket.

Agree with everyone else. Do the full packer brisket. Spray with apple juice when you can and plan for a long 4-5 hour rest after reaching your target temp/tenderness. Just give it 20-30 rest before you give it a final foil wrap so you don’t carry over too much heat.
Stuffed mushrooms are a great appetizer and come out fantastic on a pellet grill.

If I do a practice brisket, it will still be here by 4th July weekend LOL. Anyone want to join me for a "practice"? I will give out "doggie bags" :D It's too early to buy the beef. Dates on the Choice grade ones I saw at Costco show sell by dates of only next week. I still want to hold out for a Prime and give myself every advantage.

Honestly the “Brisket phobia” is utter nonsense! They are as peasy as any other large cut of protein. My buddy and I were discussing Costco and their prime vs. choice and the choice packers from Meijer are better than the choice from Costco. Well, in our considered opinions. Check them for price, often they are less than Costco. But, if they have prime, it is definitely worth it.
Larry, if I can do a brisket, you can do a brisket and I’ve done more than I had ever expected to, they are a big hit with the family!
I actually have become one of “those guys” that has a spare in the deep freezer at all times! And, I NEVER expected that!

Last edited:
If I do a practice brisket, it will still be here by 4th July weekend LOL. Anyone want to join me for a "practice"? I will give out "doggie bags" :D It's too early to buy the beef. Dates on the Choice grade ones I saw at Costco show sell by dates of only next week. I still want to hold out for a Prime and give myself every advantage.
I’ve cooked both and the secret is to not over trim any brisket. Because you’re rendering down the collagen, there’s not a huge difference, IMO, on Prime vs Choice.

I will add that adding the beef tallow at the wrap did make and keep the brisket more tender. I will do this method again in the future

You can hold out for a Prime but if Choice is the only offering, you’re still fine.

Last edited:

Back