Oh Happy Day!

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm one that although I embrace (most) electronic advancements, as far as certain tech goes, I'm mostly old school.

Take golf for example. I had a set of forged irons since I started golfing in the mid '70s. I really liked them but a few years ago, I succombed to newer technology. I got a set of cavity backs and hybrids.

Well, they felt great and I did hit them better than forged (more forgiving for one). But I now needed a driver (didn't come with the set). Got a bargain basement $10 460cc driver and well, it did the job.

Getting on a bit in years, I figured it was me and not the club in that I pretty well couldn't hit the driver as well as I thought I should. For example, my best shot this summer was 206 yd including roll out. It wowed me at the time but in retrospect, it was sad.

I started to look at what was available in the used driver market. Compared this, compared that. Hard to separate the hype from the reality.

Finally, pulled the trigger and got a 1 yr old Nike Vapor Speed

speedsole.jpg

Lime green golf club? No brainer. My favourite colour.

Well, I was out on the driving range today. I hit that sucker 230 on the fly, carried to about 260. What a thrill that was. And it wasn't a one-off. 95% of my driver shots this a.m. were like this. And straight as an arrow.

Moral: don't deny newer technology in any activity because you think it won't add anything to your enjoyment. In my case, it rejuvenated my love of the game.

Happy story over (well, actually it continues :) ). Thanks for reading.

Hate to burst your bubble but range balls go further and spin less so they go straighter than the balls you probably have in your bag. That being said the new drivers are much easier to hit than the old ones. If you slice or hook don't use a high spin ball, I find more ProV1 balls at the course than any other brand because people have trouble hitting them straight.

I hit my 3 wood about 10-15 yards less off the tee than my driver but I consistently hit it a lot straighter. My scores went down when I left my driver in the garage and added a wedge in its place.

Have fun on the course.

Bob, I always read that range b's are shorter cuz they've been whacked so many times, cut more, etc not longer. I also agree 3W vs driver. I always had more control with the 3 and accepted the reduce yardage. My new set doesn't have a 3 but I use the 3 hybrid in it's place. These hybrids are so easy to hit, it's wonderful.

This is a graphic I found on golf digest Looks like it refutes BOTH our positions:
equipment-2014-06-eqar02-gd-tested-range-balls.jpg

Last edited:
After I changed the spelling from golf to flog my game improved substantially along with my attitude toward the game because I was more comfortable flogging the ball than playing golf.
Talk about old technology my clubs are a 1966 set of Gene Sarazens. Sort of like using a cue stick for a baseball bat.

And it depends on how competitive you are. I rarely go out to just whack the ball. It may start out as a "nice walk" but eventually my persona takes over. Especially when I'm playiing with my son or son-in-law or his Dad. I know I can do better. Hopefully this one club will influence all the others in my bag :) and I'll do better.

Rich, my problem is I used to hit in mid-hi 80's so that is a problem (now) in that I know I can do better despite putting a few years in the bucket.

Last edited:
Maybe you are old enough to remember the old Schwinn Flamboyant Lime bikes, or if not, perhaps you should drive of of
the Synergy Green Camaro's that were a special edition in 2010 ND 2011. Either would transport you lime green driver to the range
quite nicely.....

After I changed the spelling from golf to flog my game improved substantially along with my attitude toward the game because I was more comfortable flogging the ball than playing golf.
Talk about old technology my clubs are a 1966 set of Gene Sarazens. Sort of like using a cue stick for a baseball bat.
My first clubs were a set of '60s-vintage Spalding Dyna-Flites (forged irons) and I still have them, but haven't used them since I replaced them with a set of Northwestern Tom Weiskopfs (perimeter-weighted irons) in 1989. Nowadays I play only when I'm on vacation but do hit the range every so often, and when I play I haven't kept score in probably 15 years. Made the game a lot more enjoyable!

Back