Observation

Todd NC

TVWBB Pro
The family and I headed up to Ohio today for a family event. Before we left this morning I was half-watching an episode of a BBQ show on tv that was featuring a BBQ restaurant in WV. Since we were passing close by I figured why not stop in and eat? It was extremely disappointing. In fact, I've commented to my wife recently that going out to eat just does not give much satisfaction anymore. Now, i'm just a backyard griller and novice bbq'er, but I can hold my own. I'll put my food up against anything I've eaten in a restaurant lately. I know I'm making small quantities and they are cooking for the masses but still..... And from what I've seen you all post on her I think you probably feel the same way. There's not much that's more satisfying than sitting down to a delicious meal cooked over some type of fire in your own back yard.

Last edited:
Todd;
You come from a state with a LONG time established history of BBQ (as you know). My son and his family live in N.C. The last time we were down there, we made a point to drop by a KNOWN BBQ restaurant for "chopped pork". The sandwiches were good but, like you, we were disappointed. I expected Professionals to at least equal my own efforts. Frankly, they were ordinary. I assure you, my pulled pork is NOT ordinary.

We have just about quit going to BBQ restaurants. We just do it better, and that is the plain fact. We actually have some decent BBQ restaurants near me (Cincinnati area). Most, however, don't really serve real BBQ but actually "fake" BBQ, if you now what I mean. We do have a couple that do real BBQ and they are head and shoulders above the rest but still don't measure up to our own stuff.

Thanks to this web site and a couple of others I could mention, most of us have REALLY learned how to do BBQ, Grillin', and even Pizza that puts the "Big Boys" in the shade. I hope those comments are not too strong but that is, frankly, how I feel, too.

I recognize that I have a whole lot to learn, but I sure know my way around a pig, a chicken, and a couple of fish I might mention:eek:.

Keep on smokin':wsm:

FWIW
Dale53

We actually have some decent BBQ restaurants near me (Cincinnati area). Most, however, don't really serve real BBQ but actually "fake" BBQ, if you now what I mean. We do have a couple that do real BBQ and they are head and shoulders above the rest but still don't measure up to our own

I used to work in Middletown and remember being taken to Montgomery Inn during my interview. Back then I thought their ribs were great, but I'm not so sure I would think the same anymore. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Todd

Sorry to say, but I feel that way about most restaurants in general. I've yet to ever have a burger that came close to touching what I do at home. As for bbq, I've had some decent out there a time or two, but the average or even bad meals far outweigh the good. I hate the ones' that have all the great reviews displayed on the wall, pictures of celeb's eating there, and the food is so-so. I ate at Paula Dean's restaurant some months back,.......gads, not that good at all...just a tourist trap, in fact, my wife said that after eating the scallops she may never eat another one. Now, I go when I travel, or special events that almost require a restaurant, like an anniversary..............................d

I'm with you Todd. I rather cook something at home and for cheaper. Since my wife can grill and smoke food I have it made. :eek:

It feels even better when your family and friends tell you that your Q is better than what they get in restaurants.

When on various road-trips/vacations with my best friend and travel buddy, we've always made it a point to try out local BBQ joints we ran across in our travels, have eaten alot of so-so Q and some pretty good Q, with the best from a small joint in N. Carolina (closed when owner passed away). And we'd regularly hit up local chain restaurants when we wasn't on a road trip (like TG Souths, Smoky Bones, Famous Daves). And we were happy.

But then, I bought the WSM about a year after the Performer/Smokenator setup. And everything changed. I'll never forget passing by a BBQ joint on one trip a few years ago, and halfheartedly suggesting stopping for a meal and my friend told me "Honestly, Sheila - since you started smoking I just don't care to eat anyone else's BBQ - your's is the best I've ever eaten". :) Of course I was thrilled to hear that, and relieved that it wasn't just ME thinking that... But seriously, I could count on one hand the number of times I've eaten BBQ that wasn't something either a friend or myself has personally cooked since I started smoking my own.

I'm not an elitist by any means, but I only get to eat 3 times a day and I want to make it count! :wsm:

Sorry to say, but I feel that way about most restaurants in general.....

Dave, I would visit Southern Flordia a few times a year and except for the fresh fish, we could never find any exceptional resturants down there. At best it was always pretty good. My friend who would stay ove in St. Pete's would say the exact same thing. Up here in New England there are some fantastic resturants...just not too many good BBQ joints. We rarely go our for BBQ, but when we do we know it's not going to be any where near what we can do in our backyard. :)

I agree whole heartedly. I used to love getting ribs when I went out to eat. I can't any more as I feel like most restaurants ribs are like mush.

The only restaurant that I have been to based on seeing it on tv that is worth a darn is Primanti Bros in Pittsburgh. I loved their food.

My wife and I don’t eat out very much any more because I’m on a very low salt diet and restaurant food for the most part is salt bombs. But when we do I always try something that I grill or BBQ and I am not a master at either but can hold my own with most.
I’ve found if I can get through the saltiness I can meet or beat the restaurant flavors and textures.
I can thank this forum for that even though I’ve only been on here a few months I’ve learned a ton of stuff that’s improved my grilling and BBQ 200%

We went to a joint known for their ribs, so I tried the ribs. Manager came by and asked what I thought of them. I told him they weren't as good as mine and he was speechless. Just stood there and looked at me for a few seconds then turned and walked away.
If you really think about it, most of our favorite restaurants are our favorite because of the atmosphere, not the food.

This should be of no surprise to any of us. When cooking in smaller quantities it is much easier to produce good quality BBQ. The unfortunate compromise when running a restaurant is that you have to have the food ready when the customer wants it, not when you are ready to cook it. So BBQ (and many other foods for that matter) are cooked ahead of time and held until ordered. This can be done in many different ways but none of which will ever be as good as fresh off your backyard smoker. Imagine cooking 3,000 pounds of que a day for a high running restaurant. This is why you will see gas or electric rather than good old wood burning pits so often.
It is my goal someday to open a bbq restaurant so I hang out a lot on the commercial bbq forums and you would be surprised at what they have to go thru to produce food for the masses. My hats off to those who can feed hundreds a day and still make it tasty.

Steve;
I have to agree with you. There is no way in He** that I would be able to turn out food in the quantities that even a modest restaurant must do on a day to day basis.

On the other hand, if you are talking a few people up to a rather large party, I and my family can all do well. Nearly always better than even high end restaurants and name BBQ joints. However, there are some professionals out there that do a wonderful job. It's just not all that common.

One simple illustration - a day or so ago, I smoked a 9.0 lb. Boston Butt. That "normally" takes me nine hours at 250 degrees. However, this one took 9½ hours. Multiply that by a large number and you would have a riot on your hands in a restaurant. I would imagine (I have never worked in a restaurant) that the food is served whether it's perfectly done or not - when the demand is there. We have the luxury of putting off the meal, holding the sides, until the main item is REALLY ready.

FWIW
Dale53

I have been to three famous BBQ restaurants in the past two years, sorry if I want BBQ I am staying home. I have to go to a really good Italian Restaurant for the same reasons as the CEO would put most to shame.
So for me now I eat out for special occasions and it is always something very top end or specialty like a Thai place or someplace with a serious Gourmet Chef and menu.
Not very often, maybe five or six times a year. Being on this site and watching people like Jac Pepin and Bobby Flay and especially Alton Brown has changed food for me to such a degree that eating out is really just for a change of view rather than the food most of the time.

I usually eat something out that I wouldn't cook at home so that I don't feel cheated. Sometimes it's just nice to be waited on though, no dished to clean up :)

I've noticed that too... In fact my wife wanted to take me out for dinner for my birthday, I said I tell you what - save your money and just bring home some steaks and I'll cook 'em, I'd get more enjoyment out of it and they'll taste better - she was all for it.

The only time I really go out to a BBQ restaurant is in the middle of a Minnesota Winter. I have fired up my WSM in the dead of winter many times; but some days I do have a craving for Q and I don't want to bear the elements. It is still semi-disappointing though. :-(

Back