Observation

The only time I really go out to a BBQ restaurant is in the middle of a Minnesota Winter. I have fired up my WSM in the dead of winter many times; but some days I do have a craving for Q and I don't want to bear the elements. It is still semi-disappointing though. :-(

Man just wear thicker clothing and it will never be too cold to cook outside.

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds. I think the postal service creed fits just as well for grilling/smoking.

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds. I think the postal service creed fits just as well for grilling/smoking.

You know, I lived in Indiana for a while, but in Minnesota most of my life. My challenge with cooking in the winter is clearing a path to my WSM or Performer - and breaking it loose. My Dad's first job was in northern Minnesota - he tells the story that one of the old timers told him that sometimes it's so cold that if you relieve yourself outside, you have to "break it off and back away."

In any case, once in awhile in the winter I do clear the snow and cook - otherwise, it's "gulp" the gas grill.

There is one good BBQ restaurant in my area and its Andy Nelson's of BALTIMORE Colts fame. I've never been disappointed eating there. Aside from BBQ, when the wife and I go out to eat, it's always to our favorite brew pub. The food is always good and the beer is fantastic. Any other restaurant is just blah

Says the man from temperate Indiana. :)

Speaking of "brew pubs", a bit earlier this year, I took the wife out to celebrate our 55th Wedding Anniversary. I took her to Christian Moerlein's in Cincinnati, Ohio along the river, downtown. They have some wonderful brew (lots of choices brewed on premises) and excellent food. We were NOT disappointed (not BBQ, tho'). The view is fantastic out the glass walls of the Roebling Suspension Bridge (Roebling built the bridge in Cincinnati just before he built it's twin brother in Brooklyn aka Brooklyn Bridge...

The service was great and all in all a VERY nice experience.

Dale53

Like others here, I've given up getting good barbecue in restaurants, and enjoy the odd pleasant surprise when I come across some good stuff. I did a barbecue crawl of Lockhart, Texas about a month ago and I was seriously underwhelmed by Smitty's, found Blacks' atmosphere to be great--but the food merely OK, and Kreuz's Market only slightly better. At all of them, the moist brisket was sorta dry, and Black's countermen cut with the grain, so what I got was stringy and tough. I didn't get a chance to try the food at Franklin's in since by then I was doing my best impression of Mr. Creosote (of Monty Python fame) by that time.

Aaron Franklin is probably only able to maintain those lofty reviews and standards because he cooks for an 11:00am opening and when it's sold out, that's it. Normal restaurants couldn't get away with that so they have to compromise. There's only one place I've eaten that has better Q than I make at home and that's Hill Country BBQ Market in New York City. They've never once had an off-day in all the times I've visited...perfect brisket every single time. Wish I knew what they were doing right. I do OK briskies on my WSM but I'd give my left you-know-what to do 'em that tender!

For ribs, once I started doing them on the WSM I have never had a restaurant rib that comes even remotely close to what I can turn out using a good rub, about 5 hours and some finesse. I still try a small rib or brisket platter at any restaurant I go to, but I'm perpetually disappointed.

Last edited:
Some of these BBQ places just don't know how to cook ribs as they routinely overcook them. Whoever told these places that falling off the bone is the way ribs are to be done was mistaken. Ribs should just be tender but not actually falling off the bone.

Most of the time, if you want something done just the way you like it, you just have to do it yourself.

My earlier post gave the wrong impression. First off, I have had many great meals in restaurants, some even bbq. However, I have had many disappointing meals and those seem to stand out. Even when the meal was great, when the bill arrived I usually comment, "well, that was not worth the price."..When I was on an expense account, I often took in some great restaurants in town, we have several 5 star places, and really enjoyed them.. However, many times, I really did not feel as it was anything worth a price of 75-100 bucks per person.

Burgers at a Chili's for instance, are ok., nothing great. I ate out a lot for lunch when working so I've my fair share of joints and plenty of dinner spots, from the chain's to the five stars. A burger, fries, and coke for 12-15 bucks is one thing, 75-100 for a piece of fish, some weird veggie, and 2-3 scallops for an appetizer, with a small desert is a bit much for even good food. Mostly why I avoid them unless I just don't want to cook, or the wife needs entertaining and my bank account has too much in it..............I've gotten so some friends and I share dinner's at home, it's just as good.

And yes, I understand bbq joints and preparing food in advance.....I sure am not waiting 6 hours for a plate of ribs......................d

if i go out i do not go to places that remotely say bbq anywhere. i much prefer my cooking. after all, isn't that why we do this ? the process ?

I find this to be true too. I think it has more to do with my tastes than the restaurant quality though...There are so many different flavor profiles and bbq traditions, I find that I like a combination of a few different styles (Texas style sides, Carolina style rubs and sauce served Memphis style on the side, lighter smoke, etc)...I love a good bbq restaurant but usually I take ideas and absorb the things I like into my cooking style which matches my idiosyncratic tastes...

I agree 1000% percent with the OP. Recently I went to a family reunion in IL. We went out to dinner at the 17th Street Bar and Grill in Marion. That had to be one of the most disappointing meals in years. I was so excited to be trying a legends BBQ (Mike Mills). I could barely eat it. Pretty sad when the comments around the table are "I can cook better BBQ than this"

When travelling my wife and I always look for BBQ and more often than not are let down.

But alas the search continues.

-rog

Back