Oak pulled pork

I do. Its milder than hickory (to me).
I mostly use red oak, but white works fine.

Tim

I did just last weekend. Used a mix of oak and hickory, actually. Three chunks of oak, two of hickory. Very pleased with the flavor.

I love oak and usually use it in a blend with apple and/or hickory. I always use it for beef. I sometimes use it for pork and it always comes out good.

Scott,

What variety of oak are you thinking about ? The only oak I've used is the California Coastal Red Oak, mainly for Tri-Tip. Good Stuff !

Thanks for all the responses. I'm looking for something milder than hickory. Had some pork done with a commercial rig using oak pellets and really liked it. I'm not sure I can get the same flavor on my 18. It's hard to find commercially. I'd like to try pecan as well but cannot find it either. Oak is readily available in the woods here in Ohio but not sure if it is white or red.

I am currently using that brand Apple and have been very satisfied. I use it (Apple) for all pork, ground meat of any kind and poultry. I typically use Hickory for beef.

FWIW
Dale53

I've been mixing oak into my cooks lately and really like the flavor it produces. I'm using oak/hickory/apple 1:1 or oak and hickory 2:1.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm looking for something milder than hickory. Had some pork done with a commercial rig using oak pellets and really liked it. I'm not sure I can get the same flavor on my 18. It's hard to find commercially. I'd like to try pecan as well but cannot find it either. Oak is readily available in the woods here in Ohio but not sure if it is white or red.

I believe some consider pecan is to be a milder version of Hickory. I really like pecan for chicken mixed with apple. As others have said I'm finding oak works very well with beef.

In South Jersey our firewood is usually red oak. I pick out a few thinner logs about a season or two old and cut them into 3" lengths on my table saw. They're easy to split into various sized chunks from there. I've been using them with cherry and apple with good results.

Back