NYE pig on a DIY rotisserie spit

anders

TVWBB Fan
Ever since I did my first pig last summer, I've wanted to do it again, but this time on a rotisserie spit.

Since I like to build things, I made a DIY spit and used the Weber rotisserie motor from my kettle. I figured that it theoretically should have enough torque, but doing a test drive first felt prudent, so I loaded the spit with 15 kgs of slightly off-set weigths, and that ran OK.

The pig was a smaller 12 kg one, mounted it on the spit, cut it for better crackling and rubbed it with BBQ spices.

The firepit was a simple one, ran it with a combination of charcoal and oak, and covered the pig with half a barrel, in the hope that would help with smoke infusion and heat.

It took about 4 hours to get ready, and once carried in I helped the crackling along with a Searzall. After that, pride and general happiness ensued. :)

1aj0rWE.jpg

JhyK4QC.jpg

BB1efD7.jpg

lv5LVjK.jpg

12iQ2M9.jpg

6KxH4JL.jpg

9h9H2wy.jpg

... and here's a maybe not 100% sober narration of the roasting:

You da man! That is an inspiring amazing cook

9h9H2wy.jpg

And the gal in the red dress is a show stealer :)

Great engineering, and a very nice cook! Whole pig is on my bucket list.....may actually get to do one as we're relandscaping our backyard this year, so there's no reason I can dig a hole! :)

So, Anders, how did it taste? How'd you serve it?

Rich

So, Anders, how did it taste? How'd you serve it?

It tasted absolutely wonderful. A good piece with meat, fat and some crackling on was some of the best tasting meat I've ever had.

Serving wise we simply let people have a go with the carving knife, and everyone was happy.

Simply fabulous - and I agree with the narrator - that is one happy looking pig. Fantastic cook!

It tasted absolutely wonderful. A good piece with meat, fat and some crackling on was some of the best tasting meat I've ever had.

Serving wise we simply let people have a go with the carving knife, and everyone was happy.

Thanks, Anders! That's what I was envisioning, a group of friends standing around a pig, beverage in hand, and a little juice dripping from their fingers.... :)

Rich

that is cool. i've done that before using a spitjack rotisserie over coals.... on a NYE. it was quite an effort of time and engineering.

how long did it take for the cook and what type of prep//seasoning on the pig?

I like the ingenuity involved in designing and building the spit. Great looking meat product at the end too!

Great thread Anders. I've never experienced pork like that. Jealousy rears it's ugly head :) . Good stuff.

Thank you all for the kind words. :)

I've received some questions around the spit itself, so I've added some more pictures here. Obviously, it all starts with an idea:

x8G0F46.jpg

It's all done in aluminium, simply because that's the easiest to work with. The biggest challenge was to fit the large spit into the 8 mm square hole in the Weber motor, which I solved by mounting a 7.5 mm square tube inside the larger one.

ZJad8wG.jpg

I couldn't find an 8 mm one, hence the red "padding" for a snug fit.

CuYcEg1.jpg

Since a 12 kg pig is most likely outside of what the Weber motor is built for, I needed to make sure that I could get a good rotational balance, which I did with two small weightlifting plates (0.5 kg each) mounted on a long bolt.

IW08X5D.jpg

Ensuring that the pig stayed in place during the cook, and didn't slip and slide on the spit, I made holders for the trotters, an offset one at the front and one directly on the spit at the rear. Two long spikes went through shoulders and rump and through the spit as well, and a final clamp around the spine.

rXuO0ik.jpg

The square spit also needed to rotate easily on the spit rests, so two pieces of PVC pipe on rollers sorted that.

HBv0Bkt.jpg

Everything worked out fine without issues, the motor dealt with it ok, no noticable overheating or strange sounds were emitted.

Improvements for the future will probably be a suitable sized spit motor and a proper U-bolt for the spine, the rest is OK. :)

Great cook Anders! Your design and technique are spot on. Looks like a great time was had by all (except the pig of course)...

Regards,

John

Awesome pig cook! I've only done one myself on my Lang 84, can't wait to do another one this year. thanks for sharing.

Back